Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning 18-55mm STM front lens

delgado
Apprentice

Hello,

I own a EOS M with an 18-55mm STM lens.

I need to clean inside the lens, at the front, so i need to know the best way to do it?

I've seen some youtube videos of other canon lenses where they remove the UV filter(?) first but on the STM lens i don't know how to do it properly does anyone knows?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Lenses don't have UV filters unless you bought one and added it yourself. The lens has a 52mm filter thread -- so any filter with 52mm diameter threads would simply screw onto the front of the lens.

If there is something on the surface of the lens then you can clean it. If it's inside the lens you'll have to send it out to be cleaned. They are not designed to be opened up by end users.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yes, you're correct it's a 52mm filter thread i want to remove.

I've already cleaned the surface but there's some little grains inside... so we can't remove the 52mm thread by ourselves?

Thanks!

A thread-on filter (which did not come with your lens or camera unless a 3rd party added it to a package deal) is easily removed. Just unscrew it. We don't think of a "filter" as a "lens" because the filter doesn't focus light.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is possible that someone screwed the filter (lens) on too tight. A very common practice by beginners. Smiley Surprised

If this is your case a inexpensive filter wrench can be bought or some other simple tricks can be used to remove it.

Wear latex rubber gloves or a large rubber band around the filter or whatever method you choose to grip the thin ring will likely work.

But remember brute force is not your friend here as it will only distort the filter threads and make removal more difficult.

Gentle but firm. Righty tighty and lefty lucy.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Here s what your lens looks like with a filter on the front. Many people use UV filters or "Protection" filters so the front lens element is not directly exposed to dirt or other hazards.

EOS_M_18_55mm_PFR052mc.jpg

Filter wrenches are very inexpensive, can be bought at most photo stores and look like this....

B&H Photo  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807010-REG/Sensei_FW4858_48_55mm_Filter_Wrench_Set.html

EOS_M_18_55mm_PFR052mc wrench.jpg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements