cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon lens price cuts

An email from B&H, quietly confirmed by Canon's Web site, announces price cuts on several Canon lenses. Most of the cuts are around 10%, but there's one interesting exception: the relatively new 24-70mm f/4L is cut by $500 - a third of its previous price. For whatever reason, it must not have been selling very well. I was under the impression that it was a fairly well regarded lens. Maybe potential buyers don't think it's enough better than the 24-105mm f/4L?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

Good to know there was actually a deal in there somewhere.  I laughed when I saw the header that said "Up to $1000 off".   I scanned through and saw a bunch of prices that weren't any different than you can get on Amazon any day of the week.

@Skirball wrote:

Good to know there was actually a deal in there somewhere.  I laughed when I saw the header that said "Up to $1000 off".   I scanned through and saw a bunch of prices that weren't any different than you can get on Amazon any day of the week.

The "$1000 off" was on a $10,000-dollar lens.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

L Lens discounts now appear to be permanent which speaks volumes about the power of competition.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/17133/

cale_kat
Mentor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

An email from B&H, quietly confirmed by Canon's Web site, announces price cuts on several Canon lenses. Most of the cuts are around 10%, but there's one interesting exception: the relatively new 24-70mm f/4L is cut by $500 - a third of its previous price. For whatever reason, it must not have been selling very well. I was under the impression that it was a fairly well regarded lens. Maybe potential buyers don't think it's enough better than the 24-105mm f/4L?

I think the optical challenges of making a solid 24-70 f/4 are relatively well established. So much so that the 24-105 f/4 yields so little variance in key optical characteristics that it is essentially a great 24-70 + 35. Easy to remember? (35mm) Ha ha.

Announcements