cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM work with R10?

damienmarsh2002
Apprentice

hello, I bought a new R10 on sale and ordered Canon RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM after some research... I realized that my test camera was Camera R so I wonder if Canon RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM can fit into R10 until I can upgrade to a full-frame camera down the road?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes, much like an EF lens is able to work with a crop-sensor body, you can use RF lenses on the mirrorless crop-sensor bodies such as the R10.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes, much like an EF lens is able to work with a crop-sensor body, you can use RF lenses on the mirrorless crop-sensor bodies such as the R10.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

would it be more advisable to exchange for Canon EOS R or RP instead?

@damienmarsh2002 wrote:

would it be more advisable to exchange for Canon EOS R or RP instead?

Depends upon what you want to do. https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm has more information. A sensor that is even larger than full frame might be advantageous in low light or for wide angles of view, but they tend to be very expensive. A crop sensor with more pixels might give you more pixels on the subject at the same distance but not do so well in low light. A crop sensor has a narrower angle of view at the same distance from the subject. Smaller sensors and the lenses that work with them weigh less and cost less than large sensors and lenses.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Please keep in mind that as johnrmoyer stated "A crop sensor has a narrower angle of view at the same distance from the subject."

On a full frame body like a EOS-R, RP, R5, etc the 24-105 f/4 L will have a horizontal angle of view of 73.7 deg. at 24 mm down to 19.5 deg at 105 mm.   On a R 10 crop-sensor body the horizontal field of view decreases to angles of 48.5 deg to 11.8 deg. this is roughly the same as using a 38 to 168 mm lens on a full frame camera.  On the crop-sensor camera what you loose in "width coverage" at the wide angle end is recovered with more "reach" at the telephoto end.

The RF 24-105  L f/4 is an excellent lens but really should only be used with lens correction (available in all EOS R series bodies) ON.  Without the internal EOS R series correction (or post correction) at wide apertures it has severe corner vignetting (up to -4 stops) and considerable geometric distortion. Without correction on a full-frame body, the vignetting is very visible at anything faster than f/8.  On a crop-sensor body, it's not an issue.

Announcements