cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon L Lens vs. Sigma ART Lens

lekneini
Apprentice

Currently saving up for a new lens, and I'm debating between a L Lens and ART Lens.(any range between 20mm to 35mm or 85mm). I mostly shoot portraits, cityscape, landscape, portrait, and night photography. However, I want to hear y'all's experience with either one of these, just to get the idea.

[link removed per forum guidelines}

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

A decade or so ago, my answer would have been only look at Canon but Sigma has really upped their game and are worth a serious look also.  I would take a close look at a range of reviews to see how the glass in the specific focal range(s) you decide upon work across the range of settings you will use and the situations you will face.  You describe a wide range of shooting conditions so you need to look closely at how aspects like how sharpness across the frame behaves at various apertures, how the lens responds to classic lens flare situations, whether IS is important to you and how well it works, etc.

There is no perfect lens but the overall best choice for you may be Canon, Sigma, or a mix of both manufacturer's lines.  And no matter which choice you make, there will be some situations where the alternative would have been better so you are looking at what is best overall without any fatal flaws for your anticipated shooting situations.  From what I have seen, Canon retains an edge in most comparisons for rapid focus following in low light which is a huge consideration for me because I shoot sports often under sketchy lighting conditions but what is critical to me would be far less important for the situations you describe.  Every reviewer has his or her own favorite photography niches and no matter how motivated a reviewer is to provide a balanced review it is human nature that they will "focus" quite a bit on their prime interest area which is why you should carefully read and apply critical thinking to a number of reviews to make the best choice for you.

Also keep in mind that a well cared for used lens can be an extremely good deal if you shop carefully; the major GOOD camera retailers (i.e. B&H and Adorama) are safe sources as is Canon's own refurb department.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You've asked a good question.  You need to tell us what body you have?  Knowing your budget might also help.

I own glass from both companies.  Are you looking for a prime recommendation or zoom?

Starting with this.  There is no denying a Canon lens paired to a canon body will yield the best, most consistent and reliable results.  There is no beating Canon with Canon. (overall) 

With that said, Sigma makes some very, very, good lenses.  Even the pros here will agree that the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art is one of the best (and favorite) lenses they have ever used on a Canon body.

My choices:

Wide zoom 16-35 L (own it) Love it (Cityscape / Landscape) versatile zoom

Wide angle (Prime) 35mm 1.4 Art (Great night time Cityscape lens)

Portrait lens (prime) 85mm 1.2 L or 1.4 (Unbeatable clarity and bokeh for portraiture)

Given the types of photography you want to shoot, you are going to need more than one lens.A great portrait lens is not going to give you the same perspective when shooting city / landscapes.  Having a faster lens that opens >2.8 will be helpful for night photography.  

Others will also reply with their perspective and experience.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

OK here is my take.  First off I will say I have owned all the lenses I am going to recommend.

"There is no perfect lens but the overall best choice ..."

Man, this is so true.  All lenses will be a compromise and what is the main most important thing to you needs to be the main most important thing.

"You need to tell us what body you have?"

I see this as having little relevance to the better of the two Canon vs Sigma Art so I will ignore it. As far as  know all the Art line is DG series.  At any rate all that I have or had were. So if any DC are made and are not DG, I apologize.

"...your budget might also help."

Again has nothing to do with the best choice. SOmetime the best costs the most but is the cheapest in the long run.

14mm class, the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens. Yeah, I know not a EF nor an Art but check it out before you buy.

24mm ckass, toss up. Flip a coin EF "L" or Art both winners.

35mm class, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

50mm class, Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens

85mm class, Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens

100mm class, Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM (Don't own it but I have seen what it can do.  Extremely good lens)

Caveat, the 50mil Siggy Art may be the sharpest 50mil in the world.  Scary sharp for sure but it doesn't have f1.2. There is nothing like f1.2 if that is your main most important thing! The same thing applies on the 85mil lens. Yes, the EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens is the slowest focusing lens you have ever used. Agonizingly slow but it has f1.2. On 85mm f1.2 is impressive.

If build is you thing buy all Canon lenses.  Both are built tough. But Canon has a support system that is unrivalved. Something Sigma can not say.

You know primes are difficult to use. Most are specific use lenses. A 50mm is probably the most difficult with the 85mm following closely behind. If you have a purpose for it they are wonderful. A 35mm prime is a great all around lens on FF.

If usefulness is your main most thing I would go for the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens, no doubt. My Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens lives on my 1DX.  My primes wait for a special event or subject that requires their specific performance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK here is my take.  First off I will say I have owned all the lenses I am going to recommend.

"There is no perfect lens but the overall best choice ..."

Man, this is so true.  All lenses will be a compromise and what is the main most important thing to you needs to be the main most important thing.

"You need to tell us what body you have?"

I see this as having little relevance to the better of the two Canon vs Sigma Art so I will ignore it. As far as  know all the Art line is DG series.  At any rate all that I have or had were. So if any DC are made and are not DG, I apologize.

"...your budget might also help."

Again has nothing to do with the best choice. SOmetime the best costs the most but is the cheapest in the long run.

14mm class, the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens. Yeah, I know not a EF nor an Art but check it out before you buy.

24mm ckass, toss up. Flip a coin EF "L" or Art both winners.

35mm class, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

50mm class, Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens

85mm class, Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens

100mm class, Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM (Don't own it but I have seen what it can do.  Extremely good lens)

Caveat, the 50mil Siggy Art may be the sharpest 50mil in the world.  Scary sharp for sure but it doesn't have f1.2. There is nothing like f1.2 if that is your main most important thing! The same thing applies on the 85mil lens. Yes, the EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens is the slowest focusing lens you have ever used. Agonizingly slow but it has f1.2. On 85mm f1.2 is impressive.

If build is you thing buy all Canon lenses.  Both are built tough. But Canon has a support system that is unrivalved. Something Sigma can not say.

You know primes are difficult to use. Most are specific use lenses. A 50mm is probably the most difficult with the 85mm following closely behind. If you have a purpose for it they are wonderful. A 35mm prime is a great all around lens on FF.

If usefulness is your main most thing I would go for the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens, no doubt. My Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens lives on my 1DX.  My primes wait for a special event or subject that requires their specific performance.

I'm surprised that you, of all people, didn't recommend some zoom lenses, Ernie. The OP didn't express a preference for primes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...ART Lens.(any range between 20mm to 35mm or 85mm)"

Actually to me, I see, Sigma Art referring to prime lenses. I know Sigma has recently come out with a some zoom Art lenses. At first they were all primes.  I have little to no experience with the zooms. I know that the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon is a fantastic lens.  It IS a reason to buy a 90D all by itself. So, in the case of lenses I don't own and use, the OP can read the reviews just like a couple of our more vocal responders do.

Still you will note I overwhelmingly recommend the best choice, dynamic duo of Canon zooms as the best choice. The 24-70mil zoom and the 70-200mil "L" zoom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements