cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM focus problem

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

I recently upgraded my aging EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with the purchase of the newer model and have found that as I'm approaching 200mm (at f/22), all but the center portion of the photo is losing focus, though the center portion remains in focus.  The lens is clean; at the same temperature (cold-soaked) as ambient; free of condensation; within the AF focus distance; the lens is properly seated and locked on the camera body.  Several test shots elegantly prove it's the new lens, not the camera or other lenses).

Anyone else seeing this?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

I recently upgraded my aging EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with the purchase of the newer model and have found that as I'm approaching 200mm (at f/22), all but the center portion of the photo is losing focus, though the center portion remains in focus.  The lens is clean; at the same temperature (cold-soaked) as ambient; free of condensation; within the AF focus distance; the lens is properly seated and locked on the camera body.  Several test shots elegantly prove it's the new lens, not the camera or other lenses).

Anyone else seeing this?

Never seen it but sounds like something stuck or loose in the lens.  If you got it from a reputable store I suggest taking it back, along with your camera and having a chat.  If it is warrantied, Canon support would be the logical alternative step.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

At f/22, do you say?  Depending upon how far away was [your] subject, that sounds pretty normal to me.  Nothing to see here.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I missed the bit about f22. Not sure why one would want to shoot at that aperture, bit you"re going to get fairly major issues at the for many lenses.
Its sweet spot is more like f5.6-f8!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:
I missed the bit about f22. Not sure why one would want to shoot at that aperture, bit you"re going to get fairly major issues at the for many lenses.
Its sweet spot is more like f5.6-f8!

For this particular subject, I wanted a clear, sharp background which told the story about the individual.  I did a number of test shots at lower aperture numbers and found many examples of objects on the same (distance) plane out of focus.

My partner tried the lens on their camera with the same results.

Fortunately, I purchased the camera new from a reputable store and will return it next week when I'm in the area with prints to demonstrate my concern.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

This was a used lens?  Return it.

You know f22 may not deliver the sharpest photos.  Lens aperture diffraction is an issue as the aperture gets very small like f22.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements