cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 28-80mm Zoom Lens Ultrasonic

HalasPete
Contributor

Bought this lens off eBay. Thinking it is first generation of the 28-80mm zoom ultrasonic. Is there a manual for this lens?

IMG_20220701_152335782.jpg

31 REPLIES 31

My oldest DSLR is a venerable EOS D30 (not the later 30D), 3.3 MP CMOS APS-C unit of 2000 vintage.  I got that from Japan, unused with a battery grip for $60.  It works perfectly and takes amazingly clean photos.  I have bunch of batteries from that era and they all work perfectly.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'll be looking for filters next."

Photoshop! 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I prefer GIMP. Am not interested in Adobe.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, HalasPete

I'm sorry but a user guide for the EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM lens is no longer available. This lens has reached the end of its support life to where parts are no longer manufactured and our service facility no longer performs repairs or service for this lens model.

In case the lens is not functioning to factory specifications then you may be interested in participating in our Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current lens with a new or refurbished Canon lens at a discounted price. If you would like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program, please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Saturday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your lens available at the time of your call.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Have you tried using the lens? What is the problem with the lens? I doubt you could return it because it is “as described”.  “Visible Light Oil Haze Using Strong Light,” just means if you use a strong flashlight, you will see some oil haze on the glass elements. This is fairly common on vintage lenses. It will cause some softness or “glow” in direct lighting situations, but this can  make for interesting photos with a vintage look. Use a hood and also add some contrast in post processing and it will probably give you great photos. 

The correct lens hood for this lens is the EW-68A but the EW-68B will also work.

319620B4-9700-493C-A3BE-EB0372EE69E6.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

I could return it as part of eBay return policy, however I think that's a **bleep** move. I'll invest in having it cleaned. There is visible oil on the lens, on the outside. I knew it wasn't perfect, but enjoy old lenses. Have had other "old" items cleaned, restored, and worked for years after.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You would need a service manual in order to open up an EF lens. The user manual for Canon lenses is very basic.

Here is the EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM user manual.

D4A9E768-A39E-43B9-B336-8E8AD99AD6EA.jpegB480A06C-B50C-49FE-B20B-CFB2C5AA04FA.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I'll invest in having it cleaned."

Most likely it will cost you more to have it cleaned than finding another one that works as is. But it's your dime!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

$112 for the lens. $118 for service. Either I've saved a worthwhile lens or just set my money on fire.

Announcements