cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 28-80mm Zoom Lens Ultrasonic

HalasPete
Contributor

Bought this lens off eBay. Thinking it is first generation of the 28-80mm zoom ultrasonic. Is there a manual for this lens?

IMG_20220701_152335782.jpg

31 REPLIES 31

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Your lens is the first version of this specific model and is apparently the best - but is IS a very old lens. As Ernie wisely pointed out, it it not normal to oil a lens, which suggests this may have been done to avoid an issue of a mechanical fault in the lens.  The oil will likely migrate to places it should not, if that has not happened already, so I would certainly approach the vendor with a 'please explain'!  If that doesn't bear fruit, then  claim a refund from eBay if you can.

If you are looking for a lens, a couple of questions:
1.  What camera are you mounting it on?
2.  Are you looking specifically for a vintage lens: i.e. very old or just a bargain?
3.  What is your budget?
4.  Is there specific focal range you are seeking?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

1: Canon 5d II

2: Vintage lens

3: Varies from paycheck to paycheck

4: Am more interested in prime lenses than zoom lenses. Even there, the difference between a f1.2 50mm and a f1.8 50mm is be visible.

Don't think I'll be looking for more lenses after I get the 20 something to 100 something mm lens figured out. I'll be looking for filters next.

OK.  Well, in the vintage lens lineup, there are a few similar lenses -  I have the 28-105 IS USM, which is an excellent lens.  But if your preference is primes, then I assume you will head in that direction.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Should have taken your advice. Seller was less than professional. Paid $112 for lens, repair bill is $118. I've got enough lenses now. My three prime lenses came out perfect: 24mm, 50mm, 100mm. The two zoom lenses have been more problems than value. Suspect that is more coincidence than something I should come to expect. Gotta say that the 24mm and 50mm are amazing.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Follow Ernie's advice above..  Return this lens.  The oil haze part was your "red flag".  My feeling is this would be something to avoid.  (respectfully).

A 24~70 (best) or 24~105 (good) would be much better.  Know that the 24~70 is sharper than the 105.  If you are looking for a bargain, you will need to buy used as @normadel recommends.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I contacted the seller today, sent a copy of the repair bill. The seller is basically telling me "Buyer beware". I've purchased other Canon lenses off eBay and arrived in excellent condition, exactly as described. Did come from Japan and paid a premium, but got a fully functional 24mm and 100mm macro lens, "barely used", "like new condition".

Does e-Bay offer any kind of support measure in this case?

cheers, TREVOR

Not after sending it to a repair shop. A lesson learned the hard way. Won't happen again. There are two eBay sellers in Japan who do sell quality Canon EF lenses.

Sorry to learn about that.  When I have bought used from Japan the vendors have always been reliable.  As you say "live and learn..."

cheers, TREVOR

The 24mm and 100mm macro lenses from Japan (Japanese eBay sellers) are excellent. Sold as "used", but the two lenses I've purchased are in great condition. The 24mm is amazing. Will need more time to see what the 100mm can do. Yes, live and learn. Happy my 5d2 will continue to work and have some support for years to come.

Announcements