cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 28-80mm Zoom Lens Ultrasonic

HalasPete
Contributor

Bought this lens off eBay. Thinking it is first generation of the 28-80mm zoom ultrasonic. Is there a manual for this lens?

IMG_20220701_152335782.jpg

31 REPLIES 31

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

No that I can see with a fairly extensive search.   Is there a specific reason you need the manual?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

HalasPete
Contributor

No, but I was hoping for any additional information. I bought this lens used on eBay, looks like someone was enthusiastic with oil. Hoping the lens can be disassembled, cleaned, and be like new again.

Canon generally refuse to even clean a lens for which they cannot provide parts.  This is reasonable, considering they don't know what they will find.  This lens is really old and way past the service envelope now.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Hoping the lens can be disassembled, cleaned, and be like new again."

I really doubt it.

I have one of these. It is a good for the price lens. Better than most of the era.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Here is a Wikipedia page that shows the hierarchy and specs of EF 28-80 lenses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_28-80mm_lens

Your lens is undoubtedly not worth what it would cost to be professionally disassembled to clean it.

HalasPete
Contributor

I can accept that this lens is beyond repair. Took a chance. Is there a better version of this lens to look for?

I have 24mm prime, 50mm prime, 100mm macro, and a 75 to 300 zoom lens for my Canon 5d2. Was hoping the 28 to 80mm would fill in the blanks.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Did you look at the article and see newer lenses of that range? 28-80 is an old range in Canon's line. Newer offerings would make more sense.

I have an EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM that does a nice job. Made from 1997-2016. Plentiful on eBay, a bunch at MPB.com (a good used dealer). Reasonable-priced lens. More worthy of your 5D II than a 28-80.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I bought this lens used on eBay, looks like someone was enthusiastic with oil."

Return it. When you say "enthusiastic with oil" what does that mean? There is oil inside the lens? Or, oil all over the outside and some has creeped inside.  Most people don't oil their lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Used Lens With Visible Light Oil Haze Using Strong Light, Overall In Excellent Working Condition" was the description.

Announcements