cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Anyone here have the lens?  How does it compare to the EF 200mm f/1.8L USM?

I’m thinking of purchasing it.  Can anyone recommend the lens?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Chris,

I never used the F1.8 but I have the EF-200 F2 and love it.  It is lighter than the 1.8 and I doubt if you will miss the 2/10 of an F stop in terms of depth of field.  I bought it primarily for indoor sports where it is better suited than my EF-300 F2.8; both are incredibly sharp and fast focusing glass and worth their lofty price.

It is tack sharp and just works well. The image below was when I was checking the AF fine adjustment on my 1DX 2 and no fine tuning was needed.  Like your F series, it is a master at making a very sharp image pop out of a beautiful background blur.

AQ9I7971.JPG

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not buy the Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens because there is a way more versatile lens that preforms every bit as well.  I have a pro friend that has the Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens and he just loves it. We go round and around about which is bestter or best. Here is the truth. The fact is, Canon has the best in class Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens at four grand less, that's 4 with three zeros after it, it makes way more sense. Canon must price it, the 200 mil prime, by the pound because it is nearly twice as heavy too.

Well, you say the prime is a full stop faster.  And, yes, it is but in the world of photography a stop is a lot ... and it is not. If you need it I guess it is a lot. However most of the time it is not because you don't need it.  And now for the huge disadvantage to the 200mil prime, it doesn't have 70 to 199 mm available.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The stop difference IS a lot and might make the difference between getting the shot and not — where a tripod is too difficult to carry and a flash totally ruins the shot.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

"The stop difference IS a lot and might make the difference between getting the shot and not ..."

Actually it is not a lot.  As a person that has used both, the times when you just absolutely have to have every bit of aperture is so tiny, it is not a real factor. That makes it, "not a lot".  And, certainly not a 4 grand factor. With today's DSLR's a one stop higher ISO is way more sensible.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Addendum;

Guess what?  That same friend has the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  Just sayin'. Smiley Happy Actions speak louder than words.

EB
Announcements