cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200m F2.8LUSM (MK1) autofocus not working

Cj7509
Contributor

I recently purchased a 70-200mm F2.8L USM lens and when I hold the shutter button half way, the lens is just focusing back and forth, and not finding anything to focus on. If it does focus on an image,80% of the time the image is out of focus. I’ve tried it on a T5 and an 80D but the problem still exists. Manual focus works great and the pictures look good but the AF is basically focus hunting.I’ve attached videos/pics in the links. Could also be user error 🤦‍♂️. Thanks I’m advance for your help.

https://imgur.com/a/jy0Wwhu

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like your lens is severely damaged.

Your lensGood lens

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, I know that the collar is missing. The seller had mentioned that it was missing but didn’t mention that the first group lens was missing so I had to purchase/install one since canon can’t service the lens.

I suspect you have a Canon EF desk ornament/paperweight. Can't even call it an EF-L paperweight since it doesn't have the red L ring.

It also looks like the area behind the element is damaged.

Canon Parts ListScreenshot 2022-11-20 104208.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately replacing parts is only part of the work required to repair an AF lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@cj7509,

Sorry sir, but you bought a lemon. The "bargain" is no longer a good deal. "Seller didn’t mention that the first group lens was missing" Red Flag.

You can try sending it to MidWest Camera dot com and hope it's not a money pit.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements