cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii flex cable ribbon problem again

llehmann
Enthusiast

I have a couple of these lenses and I do really love them. They are the work horse in my stable of glass.

That being said, this is the 3rd lens now that has failed with the ERR code communication problem. I have had this happen a couple times before so was able to trouble shoot the issue and know that its the flex cable ribbon that is bad inside the lens.

It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. 

Now, this is the 3rd  time with 2 different lenses that I've had to send them in for this repair. It would seem to me that this is a defect in the lens and I should not hae to pay for it. Or... Canon needs to use better parts so this does not keep happing over and over again.

Yes I use the lenses a lot. And yes, they are out of the warranty period. That being said, they should step up and repair without quesion. The have to know that this is an issue with the lens. 

Anybody else experiencing the same issue with their Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii?

105 REPLIES 105

yes

That's sad 😞

emarwine
Apprentice

This same thing is happening to me, did anyone actually send it in to get fixed? What was the repair total or quote you got? Looking to send mine in as well.

I am UK based, and sent it both to authorised Canon service center and a 3rd party repair and both said no. This was about 2 months ago

So .it's new lense time for me 😞

Walt_Felix
Enthusiast

I've luckily never had a problem with my EF24-70 F2.8 II USM and I've use it almost daily for 4 years.  On the other hand, I have 3 nonfunctional EFS17-85 lenses sitting in a drawer, all with failed ribbon cables.  

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

Could you check if your 24-70 make slight clicking sound when zooming?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements