cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii flex cable ribbon problem again

llehmann
Enthusiast

I have a couple of these lenses and I do really love them. They are the work horse in my stable of glass.

That being said, this is the 3rd lens now that has failed with the ERR code communication problem. I have had this happen a couple times before so was able to trouble shoot the issue and know that its the flex cable ribbon that is bad inside the lens.

It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. 

Now, this is the 3rd  time with 2 different lenses that I've had to send them in for this repair. It would seem to me that this is a defect in the lens and I should not hae to pay for it. Or... Canon needs to use better parts so this does not keep happing over and over again.

Yes I use the lenses a lot. And yes, they are out of the warranty period. That being said, they should step up and repair without quesion. The have to know that this is an issue with the lens. 

Anybody else experiencing the same issue with their Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii?

105 REPLIES 105

Wow this thread is still going huh.. 
After the last time my 24-70 broken I decided to just move over to Canon mirrorless. So far the RF 24-70 has been create, no issues. Lets hope that the problem was resolved with these new models.

frankpretzel1
Apprentice

I bought this lens end November 2016. I'm a serious amateur user and haven't used this lens a lot. I have six other L lenses as well as a 5Ds and EOSr so that makes me less of a hobbyist. The ribbon failed last year and Canon charged me just short of $600 Australian. I think it's a design fault. For what it's worth, this lens is now sold with a five year Canon Warranty. https://www.canon.com.au/camera-lenses/ef-24-70mm-f-2-8l-ii-usm

drralpert
Apprentice

I'm having the same issue. It's frustrating to know others are dealing with this, too. I take great care of my equipment, and to this day I cannot think of one instance where I have abused the lens. It still looks new. Yet I receive the same error code and can only shoot at 2.8. Very frustrating. 

Did you notice that this lens makes clicking sound when zooming? I wonder is this related to the flex cable issue

Yes I think that sound must be the thin ribbon cable being pinched, and eventually tears.

Yup getting that on my lens too... I contacted both Canon UK + Fixation UK, and both can't repair due to lack of parts.

I am looking on ebay/aliexpress to get spares.

I don't particularly want to pay £2k to get a new replacement. The Canon UK voucher support give youfor 15% discount isn't enough IMHO.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wonder if this issue is batch related and not model wide. I know lots of folks, my self included, that have not seen this problem. It does have me concerned though seeing so many with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So does your lens make slight clicking sound when zooming?

Yes, mine does. 

No.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements