cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 Version 1 worth it in 2022?

NateBuch27
Apprentice

Hey guys, Im going to be working my way back into photography as a hobby and have a chance to pick up a used 24-70 f2.8 . I know that theres a version two out that everybody raves about but its still out of my price range. They've also since released an RF 24-70 which looks sweet to. Im still shooting on an old Canon 6D with a nifty-50 and a rokinion 14mm astrophotography. Ive taken great photos with both of these lenses but have the opportunity to pick up the 24-70 for $200. I know this lens was released nearly 20 years ago, but should i pick it up for this price?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Without knowing anything about the lens, its history or condition, its hard to recommend its purchase.  A v1 is no longer serviceable by Canon, but can likely be serviced by a 3rd party if needed.  If you are buying from a friend, thats one thing.  If you found it on eBay, thats another.  Can you test it.  Does it have any type of guarantee?  I don't buy used gear, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.  You'll have to evaluate based on what you know of the lens, its history and condition.  Since you mentioned it, you cannot adapt or use an RF lens with an EF body.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As Rick advise even at $200 bucks if it is a dude it isn't worth it. You need to try it. If it works it will do a really nice job for you at a fraction of it price when it was new. I have 20+ year old lenses that still work as they always did.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements