cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera will not autofocus when 200-400mm f4 is connected

jshfoto
Contributor

Hi,

I recently bought a used Canon 200-400 f4 lens and have used it for several hours of sports shooting with no problems. Last night while shooting it stopped being able to autofocus and none of the buttons on the camera would work. I tried switching bodies thinking it was my camera, but the same thing was happening. After lots of experimenting, I could get it to work right if I disconnected the lens from the camera while the camera was powered on and then reconnected. It would only work correctly for a short time though. Anyone have ideas on what might be wrong or fixes I could try?

Thanks,

Jessica

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Then it's likely the AF stop button.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The lens should be returned if its not working. Since its a used lens.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Yes, if there is not an easy fix, I will definitely return. Hoping there is an easy fix though.

When this happens does the camera still report lens aperture. If the camera displays F/00 or F/-- that could mean the flex cable in the lens has failed. Or the lens contacts may need cleaning. But this rarely fixes the problem. Also what camera are you using this lens with. It is also not an easy fix. Canon can replace it if the lens is still supported by them. But get a quote first before repairing if its still supported by Canon.

-Demetrius

Yes, it still reports the aperture. I can actually still take pictures too and use the manual focus. 

Are you hitting the AF Stop button on the lens on accident. Also what camera are you using this lens on. EF 200-400mm lens manual PDF 

-Demetrius

I was thinking that it is also possible that one of the array of AF stop buttons on the lens is jammed if he isn't touching it.  The array of AF buttons around my L telephoto primes is a feature I really like but that might be a part of the lens most subject to damage if it was heavily used in bad weather/sea side conditions.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Would that prevent all of the buttons on the body from working as well?

No, I am not. It has happened on my 1DX Mark III and my R5 with the lens adapter. Same behavior on both bodies.

Does the camera report MF when this happens. The AF stop button will cause the lens to act this way on both cameras. Even if it is intended or not. That also doesn't mean that the AF stop button is functioning correctly either. In the camera's custom functions menu. You can turn off the AF Stop button to see if its causing the problem.

-Demetrius

Announcements