cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Used Lenses

mikeficklonni
Contributor

Hello,

Full disclosure, I know very little about cameras.  I just purchased a Canon EOS 90 D body only (upgrade from a Canon Rebel XSI).  Per suggestions via discussion boards, I am planning to purchase the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  I read it is an overall quality lens.  I am planning to use it for general family pictures, general vacation photos, kids' action sports shots…etc.

As I am shopping around, the lens sells new for $599.  However, there are many used going for around $300 to $350 on eBay and other sites. 

My question: Is it safe to buy a used lens online without being able to inspect it first?  Can a lens get worn out?  Is it too risky?  Since I know virtually nothing about lenses, other than what I read online, am I better off paying the extra cash for a new lens?

I appreciate all advice.

Thank you,

MF

10 REPLIES 10

mariah1902
Contributor
For buying an used lens you should always look for real customers not the online one. Do not buy lenses from online specially when they are second hand. I always buy second hand lenses but never have I bought them from online. You always need to check the lens from outside damage and also the focus of the lens.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements