cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget RF macro lens recommendations

kanhji6
Apprentice

Looking for a relatively budget macro lens for EOS R8 body that can focus at 10cm. I like to photograph flowers and insects. My PowerShot G1X can do this when the aperture is wide open.

Considering the 24-105 f4-7.1 STM kit zoom which I heard can focus at 13cm but it has to be in manual focusing mode? Is there a better prime alternative that can use autofocus?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The RF24mm is a budget friendly option from Canon.  5.5in or 13.97cm.

Followed by the RF35mm 6.69in and 17cm.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is big difference between close focus and macro focus. Your G1X doesn't macro focus even though it may say so on the dial. It has an electronic trick to fake it. However sometimes close focus is all you need.

You are asking for a lens that can focus as close as 4 inches about 10 cm. A tall order for a non true macro lens. Check out Canon's RS series macro lens line up and see if one of them fits your budget. Like the RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM. It can focus to nearly 4 inches and will be a great all around lens choice for other work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I have the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro, and I have to say it's been a bit of a champ.  I bought it as a "low-cost" get-started lens, but it's actually been great.  It's not a true macro, as it only magnifies to 1:2 or so, but it's pretty good -- I can fill the frame horizontally with about a 70mm subject.  It focuses to about 7cm from the front of the lens -- so about 17cm from the focal plane.  Breathing is terrible, so not great for AF in video mode.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

He may want to stick with RF glass since his R8 is FF.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements