cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF24-240mm Compatibility with Canon R8

Vedantshah
Apprentice

Hi all!

I'm planning to buy a Canon R8. I generally do travel photography so wanted a long range lens.

I was thinking of getting :

RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM (SKU 3684C002)

Can someone tell me if this is a good lens for my use and if it is compatible with R8?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

In terms of compatibility, since it's an RF lens, it will work with your R-series camera which has an RF mount.

I don't own this lens, so will let others weigh on any pros/cons about it vs other telephoto lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

elmo
Contributor

I got this lens with the R8. I think it will be my go to lens.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You know who has one of these is @Tronhard (Trevor).  He had some good things to say about it.  Others I've heard for like it for travel.  Lightweight walk-around lens.  f3.5 on the short end and f6.3 at max zoom.  Its also weathered sealed.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I have the RF 24-240 IS USM lens and love it.  I have the RF 24-105L, RF 100-500L and RF 14-35L lenses, to use on my R5, R6  and R6MkII bodies - so one might ask why I got this unit as the range is well covered.  The answer is that I wanted an all-in-one unit for those occasions when I need a wide focal range but don't want to carry more than one lens and body (I never change lenses in the field, hence the use of multiple bodies).

The 24-240 uses quite a bit of image correction via firmware algorithms that are done in camera for JPG files, and when imported into PS, LR and other PP software.  It apparently actually shoots at 21mm, and uses the extra width to allow the space to correct the image to be all square at 24mm.  This is also true of other lenses like the 14-35L and is an example of Canon finally catching up with some of the correction algorithms that have been in use for cell phones for some time.  The results are absolutely fine once these corrections are applied - so I would not worry about the issue.

It is a brilliant optic and it has a variable aperture range, it is giving me as good shots as I would get with the 24-105L, an opinion that is supportive of the review by two reviewers whom I respect:
Dustin Abbott Definitive Review: Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS Definitive Review | 4K - YouTube
Gordon Lian of CameraLabs in his extensive review of the lens: 
Canon RF 24-240mm review SUPER-ZOOM for EOS R! - YouTube
Again, Gordon Liang in comparison with the RF 24-105 lenses: 
Canon RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 review BEST RF kit zoom vs f4L vs 24-240! - YouTube

I have no issue with the variable aperture, as one can get a lot more ISO flexibility with the R-series bodies than previously available with the DSLR bodies.

Here is a post I have made so far showing shots with the 24-240 at a Gannet colony.
Trying out the RF 24-240 on Wildlife with the R5 - Canon Community

I took the RF 24-240 and shot it against the RF 24-105L to my local museum to see how they would perform across their common ranges.  The following are a couple of images shot in the rather dimly lit space, using available light, hand-held.

R6 Rf 24-240@ 24mm, f/6.3, 1/80sec, ISO-250R6 Rf 24-240@ 24mm, f/6.3, 1/80sec, ISO-250    R6 24-105@ 24mm, f/6.3, 1/4sec, ISO-250R6 24-105@ 24mm, f/6.3, 1/4sec, ISO-250R6, RF 24-105@50mm, f/6.3, 1/2sec, ISO-250R6, RF 24-105@50mm, f/6.3, 1/2sec, ISO-250

In conclusion:
The RF 24-240 strength is as a brilliant compact solution to covering a very wide focal range, and thus is particularly suitable for travel or for those who only want one lens for a wide range of subjects.   As you say you are a travel photographer, I would say this is a great tool for the job.  I would get the (regretfully) add-on  lens hood, and there are reasonable 3rd party units available.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements