cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better 50mm-ish walking around RF lens?

asta17
Apprentice

I recently moved from EF bodies to an R5 body, which I love.

Back when I was using EF cameras, I used the cheap-o 50mm f/1.8 EF all the time. It was small, light, cheap, sharp enough, and had gorgeous color. Especially for indoor and street stuff, it was beautiful.

When I got my R5, I also got the 50mm f/1.8 RF. I figured it would be the same just in RF format. I like the size and weight, but the photos I get from it just never delight me like the old EF nifty fifty did. They're fine, but they're just... fine.

Any recommendations for a better street-friendly lens around that size and focal length? I've considered the 50mm f/1.2 L RF, but it's quite expensive and pretty huge. I do like the 35mm RF Macro I have, but something a little longer would be nice.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Can you describe a bit more (perhaps point out in some photo examples) of what you're finding lacking? e.g. poorer bokeh, more vingnetting, etc.

If you already have a 35mm and 50mm, I'm not exactly sure what to recommend.   An RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS would cover those two focal lengths and give you extented options in either direction.   Though it is also pricey and large/heavy.

I've heard very good things regarding the RF 50mm f/1.2L.  That will be the main lens I pick up when moving to mirrorless.  Currently I use the EF 50mm f/1.2L which I've enjoyed tremendously.  Really looking forward though to the increased sharpness of the RF version.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It could very well be that you just got an exceptional sample of the EF-S 50mm.

There has never been an EF-S 50mm F/1.8 lens. All of Canon's 50mm F/1.8 lenses have always been Full Frame EF lenses. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Since the OP has the 35mm and 50mm covered with primes. I don't see a need for them to get another lens. Unless they wanted a zoom lens such as the RF 24-70mm F/2.8L IS USM lens or the RF 28-70mm F/2L IS USM lens. These 2 lenses cover both the 35mm and 50mm focal lengths. The advantages of the prime lenses are faster apertures compared to a zoom lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I think we're all struggling a little to make helpful suggestions. You have the 'nifty fifty' EF 50mm f/1.8 lens, a pretty good lens, and the RF 35mm f/1.8 'macro', a very good lens. You were happy with the images you got from your 50mm lens, until you moved to mirrorless and the R5 camera, which has a very high resolution sensor, which will show up the smallest fault in lens performance.

As Ricky, says, you need to give more detail about what is unsatisfactory about the images you're getting. If the lens isn't up to the job, you'll need to bite the bullet and buy an RF 50mm f/1.2L. It costs a small fortune, though.

Is it possible, however, that your images are unsatisfactory for some other reason? Maybe it would be worth taking a long hard look at your technique; composition, exposure, focus, camera shake? Maybe you need to make more use of a tripod? Maybe there's more you could be doing post-exposure, to make your pictures pop with colour and sharpness?

I'm fumbling in the dark, here, not knowing the nature of the problem. Nevertheless I hope some of this helps.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

strawpanda
Apprentice

Irene Rudnyk used one on her R5 and got some great results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGT_o7oHfQ4

Announcements