cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best wide angle lens for EOS R50

negss
Apprentice

This is my first mirrorless camera and I am so lost. My previous camera lasted me approx 10yrs, Sony DSC H1, and used to take amazing night time photos. I am heading on a 9month trip towards the end of the year and when I travel I specifically enjoy taking nighttime and city photos. The stock lens I received with the camera is a disaster for wide angle shots and I find myself switching to my phone a lot. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a budget friendly (hoping around €300 max) wide angle lens that would be suitable also for night photography. We start our trip in Singapore so if you think I would get better prices there, please let me know.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What was the biggest factor for your purchase decision?  Was it price?  What lens did you get with the R50?  Rf-S18-45?. 55-210?

Are you shooting in raw or jpeg? Are you using a post-processing editor like DPP?   What is horrible about the images you're getting?  Tell us specifically what "horrible" is for you?  The 36mm of your of your Sony is not what I would consider wide angle.  

I might have selected a full frame body if night time performance was important to me.  The R50 is a great starter camera.  Once you answer the questions above we may be able to help with some of the challenges you believe you're facing.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you bought the R50 with kit lens then use it and find out what it doesn't do first. If you did not buy the R50 with the kit lens go buy one now. In other words you need to know what its not doing before you think about asking or buying something else. It just may well do all you want as is.

The kit lens is the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens. It is a pretty good GP lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Given you have not told us what lens you have attached to your camera, it makes it harder for us to provide good feedback, as several such optics are available for that model.

Reading the specs of the Sony DSC H1, it had a focal range equivalent to a FF 35-432mm lens. You are not going to get that range in a single lens with an interchangeable lens camera.  Since you are saying you want to shoot at the wide end, then I would suggest considering the newly-released for Canon R mount,  Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary which has an equivalent FF focal range of 29-88mm, and would thus give you a wider field of view than your previous camera and offers a considerably better options in terms of low-light shooting.  It will be a great walk-around unit.  It has been around on while for the Sony mount camera system and is highly-regarded.  It will not be cheap, coming in above your €300 budget, but you have time to save up and the price will drop.  With lenses you generally get what you pay for - quality costs.

Here is  review of the same lens on the Sony mount, but it's the same physically and optically apart from lens mount.   (21) Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Definitive Review | DA - YouTube

Here is a review of the RF version itself:
FIRST Sigma lens for Canon RF! 18-50mm f2.8 vs RF-S 18-45mm review (youtube.com)

If you want something even wider, Canon do make an ultra-wide lens, the RF-S 10-18 IS f/4.5-6.3, which provides a field of view equivalent to a FF 16-29mm, and is likely to be within or close to budget.   It is a slower lens, but might work well in addition to whatever kit lens you have, and is extremely light and compact.

A note on lens design.  Over the last few years, camera and lens makers have been integrating computational photography algorithms to allow them to make smaller, lighter and cheaper lenses by not seeking the ultimate resolution by pure optics, but by making corrections to them within the camera automatically for JPG files and for RAW files when imported into post-production programs such as Lightroom.  This technology has been around for some time for cell phones, and finally lens makers have started using it.  You will see a corrected image in the viewfinder as you shoot, so all you have to do is leave lens correction on (the default) and you'll be fine.  Don't be offput by mentions of this in reviews, it is now well-established and not limited to budget optics by any means.

I hope this is helpful but if you have other questions, please come back with them.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements