cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lens for the rebel sl3? - Landscapes, pets, and astrophotography

Jdinvt
Apprentice

I have been searching for a kinda all in one lens.  One of my friends mentioned either the Tamron 28/300 f2.8 or the Sigma 28/300 f2.8? I would like to take pics of some nature, landscapes sunsets and pics of my dogs, either close up or just running in the backyard? I would also like to get into astrophotography and he mentioned for doing that, to go with the Rokinon 10mm f2.8, which I did do research on and found it to be the best lens for this camera and what I want  to do. I'm TORN between the other 2 and looking for some help. I did find on the Tamron, that if you get one with the gold color band around the focus ring, to plan on sending it back until one works because of major problems. The red ring on the other hand is the one to find but cannot find one. PLEASE help me decide on a lens for what I'm looking for. I'm LITERALLY just getting into photography so please be nice as I DO NOT understand some of the lingo used for settings ect. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

March411
Mentor

@stevet1 wrote:

joint,

I have the 18-135 lens that Ernie mentioned, and it stays on my camera probably 90% of the time.

That's $600 new on Canon USA. Works in your budget.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of course you know that there is no such thing as a all in one lens. That is why a DSLR has removable lenses. If an all in one lens was possible no camera would need to be able to change lenses. I wouldn't buy either of the lenses you listed. I would buy the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. As zoom ratio goes up like 10:1 or 11:1, IQ goes down. Of course you may be satisfied with the snapshot type photos these high zoom ratio lenses provide that's up to you. Some folks are that's why they make'em.

The Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS Lens is a great choice for astro. But you realize it is all manual it will set nothing for you. You will need a good sturdy tripod to use it.

Best combo and my recommendation is to get the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I do realize their is no all in one lens, guess I just worded it wrong, sorry about that. Why such the difference on the apature then? Thought lower was better for low lighting?

Jdinvt
Apprentice

Would also like to take pics of moon as well, didn't mention that earlier in my post. I already have a kit lens, I was dumb enough to buy the whole kit on Amazon and NOW finding out that the lens is kinda junk, tripod, junk, so I don't need another lens that I already have, I wanna go bigger hence the f2.5.

March411
Mentor

Hey Jdinvt, welcome to the forum and to photography. You will enjoy the journey and how your images improve as you continue to gain knowledge and capture images. When looking for used gear you may want to focus on a couple of reputable retailers. Personally I use KEH and MPB, both offer warranties and their grading scale has been accurate or better for any items I have purchased.

You mention that you are interested in landscapes, pets, and astrophotography. The first two are pretty simple, astrophotography is going to offer some challenges. While you can capture images of planets or the moon with a 300mm the details will be limited, the milky-way @ 28mm is possible.

https://www.space.com/best-lenses-for-astrophotography

https://www.space.com/best-lenses-for-astrophotography

The two lenses you mention will be good for all around photography and offer you decent range.

When you start a conversation on lens aperture you will get interesting feedback. Personally I prefer and try to purchase the fastest lens I can afford in the specific length I desire, I will always try to grab at least a f2,8 over a f4.

Why?

Fast lens speed is better for taking pictures in low light, stability with long lenses, and for controlling depth of field (DOF) and bokeh, especially in portrait photography. I want the lens that will offer the most flexibility. Price is a factor but on most occasions I believe you get what you pay for, many would disagree.

Chances are you will need to purchase something specific for Astro (faster is better) and a general telephoto to hit you other two areas of interest. You you want to toss out numbers for a budget I  am confident others would jump in with suggestions.

This is the moon @ 600mm

Moon_V2.jpg

Super-Moon.jpg

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
My Online Gallery

Thank you for the info. My budget for both lines is about 800 to 1k for both, used of course.  I happen to come accross this lens but not sure, don't don't think, it has the zoom I'm looking for. Sunsets ect? Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon

March411
Mentor

Jdinvt, one thing that I would like to mentioned that I missed in my last reply, there is not best lens for a camera, there is however the best lens for the job or photographic goal. It seems to me you are looking for a wide angle for landscapes, maybe astro and a zoom to fill the balance of your photographic style. Would that be accurate?

The Sigma 30mm f1,4 is a good lens, fixed length, not a zoom and is wide which will work for some astro photography and landscapes. It will be to wide to capture images of the moon with any detail.

B&H photo maintains some decent reviews and just as important some images you can see from people that bought the lens. Just click on reviews and look on the right margin for the images. They have this lens listed @ $350.

Amateur Photographer has listed these as the best standard EF-mount zoom lenses for Canon DSLRs (2023)

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Best telephoto EF-mount zoom lenses for Canon DSLRs

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM S
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM A
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

And while I respect ebiggs1 opinion on zoom ratio's I will have to respectfully disagree. They, high zoom ratio lenses can produce significantly better image quality than snapshot images and the IQ can be fantastic on some of the "super zooms".

These images were taken with a high zoom ratio Sigma 18-300mm. I'll take these as snapshots any day, or maybe I am just lucky and can get bad equipment to perform. Look at the level of detail in these two images, slightly better than snapshot 😎

You need to take the time to research before just taking someone's remarks as gospel....including mine.

Everyone will have an opinion, do your research, become well informed and then make your purchase.

Great-Kiskadee IV.jpg
Snowy-Ergret.jpg

Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
My Online Gallery

stevet1
Authority
Authority

joint,

I have the 18-135 lens that Ernie mentioned, and it stays on my camera probably 90% of the time.

Steve Thomas

March411
Mentor

@stevet1 wrote:

joint,

That's $600 new on Canon USA. Works in your budget.

Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
My Online Gallery

WCETECH
Apprentice

My advice is if possible rent the lens you would like to try out then if it works out search around and purchase one if you don't like it your not stuck trying to unload a used lens.

Announcements