cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Focus Not working with 55-250 EF-S IS Zoom Lens

laknee
Contributor
This was really dumb of me as a beginner photographer, so bear with me. I just got this zoom lens for my 100D canon camera. I put it in auto focus and press the shutter button and i can hear and see the focus part moving, but it is not focusing. I wait about 30 seconds to a minute and it still hasn’t focused. I tried zooming in and out to see if it would focus better like that and then tried focusing on different objects with different distances and nothing. So I completely forgot for a second all about the manual focus and auto focus switch and started twisting the focus ring while it was STILL IN AUTO! I’m an idiot, I know. It started clicking a little and resisting my twisting so I stopped. I then remembered and quickly switched to manual and started using the focus ring. When I switched back to auto, it wasn’t even attempting to focus! I feel like I broke it, which is unfortunate cause I just got it today. When I half press the shooting button (shutter button) I hear it click once and then nothing, no attempt to focus while in auto focus. I took off the lens, reset all my camera settings, tried putting it in manual and twisting it all the way one way and the other (no clicking sound). The previous owner said that they tested it before shipping and that it was working but it didn’t once work when i had it. To clarify when I first put the lens on, it was in Auto, I didn’t touch the focus ring yet, and it still wasn’t focusing, so I don’t know why that wasn’t working either. Please help!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although you did a no-no, I don't think the lens was working properly when you got it.  I think a return is completely advised.

These low cost ef-s lenses are not built like the pro level "L" series is.  It makes a person buying used to use caution and try before you buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you call Canon support at 1-800-OK-CANON they can walk you through this.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although you did a no-no, I don't think the lens was working properly when you got it.  I think a return is completely advised.

These low cost ef-s lenses are not built like the pro level "L" series is.  It makes a person buying used to use caution and try before you buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements