cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Wide Angle Low Light Lens

Metalliogre
Contributor

Good Morning!

I am in search for a nice wide angle low light lens I can use on my 70D. I would prefer something under $500. I am looking to capture photos of the night sky and landscapes at all times of the day/night. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Yes, it can do low light landscapes. First low light can be corrected for with slower shutter speeds. Between the wide angle and image stabilization with good technique you can handhold full one second exposures.

Also low light can be corrected by taking multiple photos and stacking them.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Return it.  It will never work for you.

And get the EF-S 10-18 IS STM.

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And get the EF-S 10-18 IS STM.

Great lens, but falls short on the low light front. 

I hate to say it, but Rokinon, and a few others, have Canon soundly beaten, hands down, on the wide angle, wide aperture lens market.  One quirk of the Rokinon lenses is that they can show high CA outside of the DOF, but  within the DOF they tend to be razor sharp.  This behavior is quite the opposite of the focusing behavior of most lenses.

I like the idea that Canon does not make any manual focus lenses for EF mount.  But, there is really nothing wrong with making high quality manual lenses for the EF mount, IMHO. But, I can see why Marketing would not want to do so.  {Warning, I'm an Operations guy, so i am notorious for blaming Sales.]

Don't get me wrong. Canon does make high quality, manual focus lenses.  Their EOS cinemat lenses are reputed to be the best in the business.  NBC used them exclusivelhy at the Rio Olympics in 2016.  Those images were very high resolution, and razor sharp with very little CA. 

But, the Rokinon manual focus can be pretty good, assuming you can get your hands on a good copy, supposedly.  Well, I have had no problems with the more costly versions of their manual focus lenses, the cinema verions of them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

How do you feel about the lens that TTMartin suggested? Should I still go with the Rokinon? I don't mind the manual focus at all, I just want beautiful pictures.

@Metalliogre wrote:

Should I still go with the Rokinon? I don't mind the manual focus at all, I just want beautiful pictures.

I do own the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye. I purchased them before Canon released the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM. Before the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM the Rokinons were the lens of choice and I recommended them.

However, the Rokinons do have quality control issues. I had to return the first 14mm lens because it was bad. The 8mm has some sort of flaw that shows up in the lower right of every photo when shooting in sunlight that I missed during the return period.

The EF-S 10-18mm IS STM deservedly has great reviews. The 4 stop IS more than makes up for the slower aperture, by allowing you to use a slower shutter speed even handheld.  

Keep in mind, ebiggs does not regularly shoot with an APS-C crop sensor camera like you own. His experience with lenses on those cameras comes second hand, or from short tryouts with them. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

ebiggs dislikes anything I suggest simply because I'm the one who suggested it.

"ebiggs dislikes anything I suggest simply because I'm the one who suggested it."

Actually that isn't the reason.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Metalliogre
Contributor
You guys are awesome! Haha. I am learning so much. Seriously!
Announcements