cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptor for EF-S lens to go on a Rebel EOS 2000

andie22
Apprentice

I recently broke the lens I had on my Canon Rebel 2000 EOS, but have a few extra lens from my Canon Rebel T3 EOS (EF-S mount) that I would love to use but they don't fit on the Rebel 2000. Is there an adapter I can use to put the EF-S lens on my Rebel 2000? I'll attach some pictures. TYSM! 

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 4.00.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-17 at 4.00.37 PM.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, you cannot put an EF-S lens on a Full Frame body. You would not want to, since the image circle may be too small to fit the frame, or you would get unacceptable distortion outside the APS-C area. Especially on a film camera, since you have no way to do image correction!

View solution in original post

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Canon 35mm film cameras of the EOS era are equivalent to "full frame" Canon digital cameras so the EF-S "crop sensor" lenses won't fit and will not provide the clearance needed for the mirror mechanism in your SLR so damage would result.  Best bet is to buy an EF mount lens which WILL also work on your crop sensor Canon digital.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, you cannot put an EF-S lens on a Full Frame body. You would not want to, since the image circle may be too small to fit the frame, or you would get unacceptable distortion outside the APS-C area. Especially on a film camera, since you have no way to do image correction!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Canon 35mm film cameras of the EOS era are equivalent to "full frame" Canon digital cameras so the EF-S "crop sensor" lenses won't fit and will not provide the clearance needed for the mirror mechanism in your SLR so damage would result.  Best bet is to buy an EF mount lens which WILL also work on your crop sensor Canon digital.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

andie22
Apprentice

Thanks all! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The above is good advice but not totally true. It is possible to use ef-s lenses on a FF body. The question becomes should you. That answer is still probably no for the novice. However if you search you will find folks that do this with good success. One popular one is the ef-s 10-22mm for FF 4k  video.

I have experimented doing it and did not see any real issues except some ef-s lenses are simply not worth the effort and this would include the standard kit lens. I am not going to explain how to do it so if you want to pursue it you can do a search.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements