cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ADVICE] Beginner lenses for Canon RP

daines13
Apprentice

so I just bought my first camera, I decided to go for the Canon RP as the refurbished on Canon USA website is just 699$

I am brand new to photography and I`ve read a lot of posts about rp lenses recommendations and a lot of people were recommended buying a lenses adapter. Also should I go for third party lenses or canon ones?

I will shoot mostly street and landscape so maybe a 18-55mm f/4 or should I get fix 50mm f/2.8?

budget is around 300$

thanks for any info you give me, it will be very helpful since I'm a bit lost here...

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You will need to shop for Full Frame lenses now since you have a Full Frame camera. Using an APS-C lens such as the EF-S 18-55mm will reduce megapixels. Since the lens only covers the APS-C image circle which is 1.6x smaller than 35mm Film or a Full Frame Digital Image Sensor. But your current EF-S 18-55mm will work when adapted. 3rd Party lenses can be iffy when it comes R series cameras when it comes down to compatibility. The RF 50mm F/1.8 STM is a great lens. When it comes to Full Frame look into a wide angle lens such as the 15-35mm or 14-35mm wide angle lenses. Have you purchased memory cards, extra batteries, or other accessories already. Do you need an external flash (speedlite) too.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

One of my favorite focal lengths is the 50mm, and an RF 50mm f/1.8 is $160 as of this writing at B&H Photo.  It typically retails for $199.

Note that this is a fixed (prime) lens, so it will not zoom.

One potential zoom lens (though it's above your budget) is the RF 24-105mm f/4 to f/7.1 lens.  Around $399.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements