cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

85mm 1.8

christiepepper
Contributor

While using my lense last night, it just stopped focusing.  I can hear the motor working and it seems like it goes in and out and it just won't focus on the point.  I was using the AV mode it was set to  AI Focus, I tried it on different modes and focus points but still the same issue.  Is this something that is easily fixed.  Please help

Thank you,

Christie

12 REPLIES 12

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz
What camera is the lens mounted on? Under what kind of lighting conditions are you trying to focus. Low light conditions may cause the lens to "hunt" for focus with limited success. Will the lens focus properly in daylight conditions?

I had it on my D70 and I have also tried it on a Rebel T4i, I was using indoors in a gym at a volleyball game, flourscent lighting.  I did not try it outdoors yet though, since it was in the evening at the time, and I am at work now.  I did try it at home indoors and it normally works fine there, but it did the same thing, just keeps searching.  

Switch to Single Shot AF and see what happens. AI Servo can be tricky since the slightest camera motion can confuse the computer. It can't differentiate between camera motion and subject motion.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, I just tried that and it is still doing the same thing.  Just searching. Smiley Frustrated I do appreciate it though

If you are in good daylight with camera set to green square auto and you don't focus service is needed. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yep, that's what's happening.  Thanks again.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I can hear the motor working and it seems like it goes in and out ..."

Christie,

It isn't the lens that focuses.  It is the camera.  The fact the lens moves in and out is troubling to me.  On full auto, green square, and outside in the Sun light it still doesn't AF ?  

Was the lens dropped?  Did it get wet, even a little? If, yes, Call Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The lense was never dropped, it hasn't gotten wet, it looks brand spanking new, but it is about 3 years old, I just take really good care of them.  The odd thing to me was that it was working fine, I must have gotten in a good 40 shots and then it just wouldn't focus.  I tried the lense on both bodies I have the D70 and Rebel T4i.  I also tried other lenses on my D70 and there is no issue with those lenses.  It is very puzzling to me.  I will try again on auto when I get home from work, the sun is still brightly shining.

Once again, I appreciate all of you trying to help.  It is one of my favorite lenses. 

Hi cristiepepper!

We suggest reaching out to our US-based support team for some basic troubleshooting to try to get to the bottom of this! They're available from 8am to Midnight (ET) at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Announcements