cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 2.8 III

antsy88
Apprentice

Well, I got my 70-200 2.8 III with great expectations... Did my first shoot with it...its headed back to Canon tomorrow.

Nothing is sharp at F9 at 200th of a second on a tripod with a cable release. My old first version is a heck of a lot sharper and Im really bummed out. $2000 and what did I get??? possibly my first reshoot.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@antsy88 wrote:

Well, I got my 70-200 2.8 III with great expectations... Did my first shoot with it...its headed back to Canon tomorrow.

Nothing is sharp at F9 at 200th of a second on a tripod with a cable release. My old first version is a heck of a lot sharper and Im really bummed out. $2000 and what did I get??? possibly my first reshoot.

Sorry to hear that.  I bought the Mark II a couple of years ago from that big blue box store, and noticed the lens was not only soft, but it rattled when I moved the camera.  I returned it for an exchange.  I immediately noticed the new lens had a rubber grommet on the lens mount, for weather sealing, which my first copy lacked.  The second one was razor sharp, too.

Is the problem I had the same as what you have now?  I seriously doubt it.  Yup, get your copy checked out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My lens gives every indication it is perfect. When I shoot at almost minimum distance it seems fine. But today I was about 40 feet from a group of people, shot at F9 at 200th of a second, on a good tripod and had a cable release. Even when I manually focused I couldnt get it in focus. I thought maybe it was just a mistake with my eyes but when I looked at the shots they were the same softness as I saw on the back of the camera. BIG disapointment 

You need to send it to Canon for a look see.  If for no other reason to satisfy your own mind. Whether or not anybody else tells you how great their copy is is irrelevant.  Yours is what it is.

There is no difference between version II and III except for the color of the body and the new lens coating.  I do not intend to undervalue the new coating in any way though.  The lens coating is a fundamental and primary reason why lenses preform like they do. These very special coatings are expensive and they are difficult to apply.

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@antsy88 wrote:

I once had a similar experience. Bought a new 7D and a 17-55mm f/2.8 and took them the next day to an important shoot - only to learn when I started editing that that camera/lens combination required 12 points of autofocus microadjustment. Fortunately, I was using two cameras and got enough good shots with the other one. I was very lucky, because a reshoot would have been impossible. The takeaway: NEVER use a new piece of equipment on a job without testing it first.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Roger that!

"... that camera/lens combination required 12 points of autofocus microadjustment."

Keep in mind focus adjustment in the camera does not make a lens one bit sharper.  Nada, not any.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... that camera/lens combination required 12 points of autofocus microadjustment."

Keep in mind focus adjustment in the camera does not make a lens one bit sharper.  Nada, not any.

Well, I'm not sure I claimed that it does. What I do claim is that AFMA (if needed) makes the picture sharper – at least the part that matters. If that's a distinction without a difference, so be it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yup, Robert I know you knew how it works but many others don't.  They think it does even some members on this forum. They might chime in with false info.

EB

The lens is on its way to Canon and should be there tomorrow. Ill see what they say. Ive asked that if they cannot guarantee me that that lens is in perfect condition then I want a new lens. I will press this as far as I can. I have to have confidence in the equipment or Ill get rid of it no matter what and go back to a version2 lens. 

Ive always gotten great fast service from Canon so Im not going to assume anything other than that this time. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements