cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

650 Lens work for a T3i

monradon
Contributor

Now i wish i still had all my old canon lens ??  Is there any thing special one needs to know when buying lens for a digital camera ???  I know canon film lens but my T3i is new to me ??

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@monradon wrote:

Now i wish i still had all my old canon lens ??  Is there any thing special one needs to know when buying lens for a digital camera ???  I know canon film lens but my T3i is new to me ??

Try to buy “digital” lenses.  One of the biggest differences between EOS lenses made for film cameras and those made for digital cameras are the anti-reflective coatings on the lens elements inside of the lens body.

Unlike film, digital sensor assemblies are capable of reflecting light back up into the body of the lens.  This can wreak all sorts of havoc on the image captured by the image sensor.  It frequently shows up as images with hazy looking, cloudy areas, or other weird lighting effects.  Digital lenses have special coatings to minimize the effects of light being reflected back up into the body of the lens.

The T3i is good camera to discover digital photography. One of the first things you realize is that you no longer have to shoot an entire roll of film with a fixed ISO.  The next thing you realize is the degree of control you can have over exposure.

Digital cameras are capable of automatically all three legs of the exposure triangle.  But, you can also set up DSLR cameras to control any two legs, any one leg, or none of the legs of the exposure triangle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there any thing special one needs to know when buying lens for a digital camera ?"

All you really need to know is, if the lens has the letters EF or EF-S in its name, it will work on your T3i. There are third party lenses but their naming convention is different.  Stick with Canon until you become more familiar with it.  Matter of fact stick with Canon period and all will be good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

They are much better today then they were.  Especially if you choose wisely. Don't go third party if Canon has what you want.  Sometimes Canon doesn't and sometimes the off brand lenses supply that niche.

EB

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@monradon wrote:

Try to buy “digital” lenses.  One of the biggest differences between EOS lenses made for film cameras and those made for digital cameras are the anti-reflective coatings on the lens elements inside of the lens body.

Unlike film, digital sensor assemblies are capable of reflecting light back up into the body of the lens.  This can wreak all sorts of havoc on the image captured by the image sensor.  It frequently shows up as images with hazy looking, cloudy areas, or other weird lighting effects.  Digital lenses have special coatings to minimize the effects of light being reflected back up into the body of the lens.

The T3i is good camera to discover digital photography. One of the first things you realize is that you no longer have to shoot an entire roll of film with a fixed ISO.  The next thing you realize is the degree of control you can have over exposure.

Digital cameras are capable of automatically all three legs of the exposure triangle.  But, you can also set up DSLR cameras to control any two legs, any one leg, or none of the legs of the exposure triangle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon EF-S 18-135 STM lens is a good all around lens for the Rebel series cameras.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there any thing special one needs to know when buying lens for a digital camera ?"

All you really need to know is, if the lens has the letters EF or EF-S in its name, it will work on your T3i. There are third party lenses but their naming convention is different.  Stick with Canon until you become more familiar with it.  Matter of fact stick with Canon period and all will be good.

EB

Thanks for the info the third party stuff i have tried that in the past to save and it usually cost !!    

They are much better today then they were.  Especially if you choose wisely. Don't go third party if Canon has what you want.  Sometimes Canon doesn't and sometimes the off brand lenses supply that niche.

EB
Announcements