cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-70 f2.8 VS 24-105 f4

kollpp
Apprentice

Hello 👋 I currently own a Canon 5D II and 2 lenses: a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM and a 17-40mm f/4 L USM and I am looking to buy an intermediate lens. I mainly do street photography, landscapes and portraits from time to time and I hesitate between the 24-70 f2.8L USM and the 24-105 f4L IS USM. The prices are almost the same so the budget does not help to choose.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@kollpp wrote:

Hello 👋 I currently own a Canon 5D II and 2 lenses: a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM and a 17-40mm f/4 L USM and I am looking to buy an intermediate lens. I mainly do street photography, landscapes and portraits from time to time and I hesitate between the 24-70 f2.8L USM and the 24-105 f4L IS USM. The prices are almost the same so the budget does not help to choose.

Do you need a lens faster than f/4? Do you want a lens greater each than 70mm without changing lenses?

If you are OK with the slower lens (f/4 max aperture) the 24-105 gives you a little more flexibility. The 24-105 has image stabilization I believe with the 24-70 does not. This might be important to you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

By far the 24-105mm f4 is the better choice for the average person. I have never understood the term "street photography" it is nothing more than general photography. And for a GP lens the better zoom range of the 24-105mm will serve you better. Although it looks like and sounds like a big deal, the difference between f4 and f2.8 is one stop. One stop is hardly a deal maker or deal breaker.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Street photography is a 24/7 hobby. I find the look of a fast 35mm prime on a full frame is ideal. Probably why I still have the EF-M 22mm f/2 on my M3. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements