cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm Efs Focus problem

Mto
Apprentice
Hi guys,
I have 18-55 efs lens and having some focus issues.
While taking photo on Af mode lens is focusing with turning the focus ring to left direction and shooting okay, however if for focusing turning of focus ring to the left is required lens is not responding, so motor is working one way only.. All directions are while shooting position.

I have open the lens and checked gears they are all fine and motor is also working but only one way as i am written.
In af mode if i kick the focus ring to the far right by my hand( i know this is not recomended for gears) when i am shooting focus ring turns back left direcrion and find focus point. However for shooting another photo if ring required to turn right no reponse from lens and no focus so no shoot. By the way i can hear very minor voice from lens that time.
Please advice if any idea about one way working lens motor.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mto
Apprentice
Unfortunately no change still ring is working on single direction, left.

You probably need a new lens. The Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is a better lens and now you have a good excuse to buy one.

EB

Mto
Apprentice
Hahaha,
i also feel the same, let me tear apart this first. May work. Any other ideas are also welcome.

Good luck.

EB
Announcements