kvshrao
Apprentice

Looks like Focus motor is broken

any cheaper way to repair it

canon support page is broken to setup any repair

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

The site seems to be working for us. 

To start your repair, you can go to your My Canon Account at HTTP://canon.us/account or HTTP://canon.us/repair

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... any cheaper way to repair it ..."

This is going to be key here. Make sure you weigh the cost of repair vs the cost of a good working used copy of the lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Is your lens an STM unit?  It will say so on the space around the front element.  If it is not an STM unit, then it will have a gearing system attached to an ultrasonic motor and these are more susceptible to damage.  Ernie's comment about the economics is very valid but also consider that if there is a small price difference between a repair and replacement with an STM unit (there are lots available second-hand, or on occasion via the Canon Refurbished lens site) you will get benefits in performance with such a replacement.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Annlasa
Apprentice

@kvshrao myBayCare wrote:

Looks like Focus motor is broken

any cheaper way to repair it

canon support page is broken to setup any repair

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared. I will try to figure it out for more.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  if there is a small price difference between a repair and replacement with an STM unit ... you will get benefits in performance with such a replacement."

Absolutely! Sometimes a faulty lens opens the door to an upgrade.  Weigh your options before you decide.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The title says “18-135 usm lens”.

An 18-135 STM wouldn’t be an upgrade. I would send the 18-135 USM in to Canon for a repair estimate. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike, I missed that!  Still, the principle holds good. Actually I have both the STM and USM versions and apart from a slight difference in focus speed, there is no obvious difference in optical quality that I can see.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvshrao
Apprentice

thanks all for responding

I purchased new one as they have flat rate repair cost of 299$

Announcements