cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17mm ts-e f/4 l lens Aperture Control on R5 Camera

Archimagine
Contributor

I just purchased a "like new" R5 body and A "like new" Canon 17 mm Tilt shift lens. (this is my only body and my only lens so far)

The control ring on the camera will not operate the aperture on the lens.  The setting on the camera  reads f00  in manual mode.

Setting had been made to allow shutter to operate without lens attached (needed for a manual lens)

The adaptor  is made by JJC (not Canon).

This combination (except for the adaptor) is used by many architectural photographers so I believe the cameral and lens should communicate.

Though the equipment was purchased used on ebay, I believe both sellers were original owners.

Can anyone direct me on this?

15 REPLIES 15

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would return the items.  You have no idea what the actual status of that gear would be.

If you intend on keeping it, look at picking up a Canon EF to RF adapter instead of using a third-party adapter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have a canon adaptor ordered so planning to start there.  

Thanks for the reply!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you haven't reset the camera's Main and Custom settings, start there.  Next ensure the contacts on both the camera and lens are clean and not damaged.

Now you will need to rule out the adapter, lens or body.  You can test with another lens, body and adapter to start ruling things out.  There is not really another way to do this without having at least 1 known good / working hardware configuration to start.  f00 means the lens is not communicating with the camera, or is malfunctioning. Visit a local photography store or repair shop (not sure where you are located) for help. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes I need to begin checking off these boxes and cross checking various parts with other known points of reference.  I have a new rf lens and a new canon adaptor ordered so I'll start there.

Thanks for your reply.

I just received a second ef lens (this one brand new and made by canon - 50 mm, f1.8) and it worked on the first try.  Aperture was able to be controlled.  Then after taking it off and placing it back on, it too has begun giving an aperture of f00.  And also, the lens cannot be focused on manual or auto.

So it looks like the same problem on a different lens - I am starting to rule out the lens as the problem.  But it is now looking like either the camera or the adaptor - I'm hoping it's the later - will see when the new Canon adaptor arrives.

Again - Thanks for you suggestion.

I appreciate your response to my predicament. 

As it turned out, the problem was with the JJC adaptor.  I received a canon adaptor today and everything works perfectly.  There are several non-branded adaptor being sold and some have positive reviews (as did the one I bought) I am certainly going to exercise caution for future purchases.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"Setting had been made to allow shutter to operate without lens attached (needed for a manual lens)"

Are you doing this as a troubleshooting step or because of the adapter?

If you are in this mode, there is no way to control the lens from the camera. I suggest you get the Canon adapter.

Yes that makes sense.  I disabled that setting just now but the aperture reading remains f00.

the focus peaking feature is working and the camera displays blue or red optics around features that are in focus.  That seems to indicate that the camera and lens are communicating doesn't it?

"That seems to indicate that the camera and lens are communicating doesn't it?"

No. In Auto-Focus the camera determines whether the image is in focus and vectors (Yay for phase detect!) the lens to improve the focus. Focus peaking and confirmation work just fine in manual focus with no lens communication.

Announcements