cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400mm Usm L series mrk.1 settings?

Johnmtchl
Contributor

There is a few switches, obvisouly i know MF/AF is focus, and stabilizer on and off is easy. 

but what is stabilizer mode 1/2? 

the 1.8/6.5m switch seems to toggle the the minimum focusing distance? what are the pros and cons of the stabilzer modes, and the pros and cons of a shorter/ longer minimum focus length? 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It would be best if you downloaded the User Guide, and get your answers from the source.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/ 

Begin typing the model number of your product in th white box until a drop down menu appears showing the full model number.  Selecting the correct model number will take you to the Product Support page for your product.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Mode 2 is used when panning. 

https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/EOS_feature/canon-image-stabilisation.html

The less distance the lens needs to focus through the faster the lens can focus. If your subject is further away than 6.5m then selecting that setting will allow you to achieve focus more quickly. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Also, in full focus mode, the lens may not be able to focus at all.  It may hunt for focus and miss it.  It is common to help it by setting the lens close to focus distance. I owned two of them and both acted the same. This lens wasn't one of Canon's best efforts. I sold mine for the ef 400mm f5.6L (which is a fantastic lens) twice!  And, probably why I never pulled the trigger on the Mk II 100-400mm zoom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Also, in full focus mode, the lens may not be able to focus at all.  It may hunt for focus and miss it.  It is common to help it by setting the lens close to focus distance. I owned two of them and both acted the same. This lens wasn't one of Canon's best efforts. I sold mine for the ef 400mm f5.6L (which is a fantastic lens) twice!  And, probably why I never pulled the trigger on the Mk II 100-400mm zoom.

Ah but the 100-400 MkII was a complete redesign and is an awesome lens, one of my favourites and it works a treat with the 1.4xMkIII extender too.  On my 7D MkII it gives me a focal range from 240-896mm, which is a lot of reach...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I know several people have told me so and I do believe them. I guess the appearance of the 150-600 super zooms also contributed to not buying one. I still believe Canon missed the boat not making one.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I know several people have told me so and I do believe them. I guess the appearance of the 150-600 super zooms also contributed to not buying one. I still believe Canon missed the boat not making one.

Hi my friend:

I think you may well be right.  I got the Sigma EF 150-600C and the 60-150S models and they are excellent lenses.  I have given a limited shot with the adaptor on a R6 body and they seem to work reasonably well.  Doubtless Sigma will eventually bring out native RF mount versions of them at some stage and then they will have the welcome benefit of both Lens IS and IBIS.

At least they have made some effort with the new RF 100-500.  I undestand they are planning a 100-400 RF unit as well (according to Canon Rumors) however looking at the specs with an f/range of 5.6-7.1, I don't see a huge advantage: maybe it will be more light and compact - mind you, the 100-500 is pretty good as it is...

This is the 2021 RF roadmap, according to Canon Rumors as of today.

Canon RF mount Tilt-Shift lenses with Autofocus:

• Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L
  • Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L

Canon RF mount Prime Lenses:

• Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM

Canon RF mount Zoom Lenses:

• Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM
  • Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
  • Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM

Canon RF mount Macro Lenses:

• Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
  • Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

Canon RF mount Telephoto Prime Lenses:

• Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
  • Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements