cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 35-105 lens missing the AF/Man switch.

Fargophil
Apprentice

So I bought this lens and missed the part about it missing the AF switch in the ad. The ad did say when I went back and reread it that it works fine by moving the switch with a toothpick Question is how, aabsent sending it in for repair can I put the switch in the AF mode and get it yo stay? with my eyes being what they are, it will never need to go back to the manual position.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying that when you shift the switch to AF it moves out of position to MF?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes that is what it is doing. The external paart of the switch is missing , hence the toothpick to move it into position.

He is asking whether movement of the switch to MF during operation has ever been an issue.

I think the OP is asking if it will stay in AF if the exposed part of the switch is missing. I don't know since I have never had this happen. You have two choices, one try and see or, two have Canon fix it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This was a fairly inexpensive lens and I doubt if Canon could repair it in an economically feasible manner.

The switch isn't a momentary/spring loaded type so the "guts" of it should stay in position once moved.

You could move into place and then use a small piece of plumber's putty to prevent it from moving out of place due to shock/vibration and this would also provide some protection to this area that would normally be covered by the switch lever.

Plumber's putty is useful stuff for a lot of temporary applications.  It removes easily without residue and is non-conductive.  I found that when shooting with my EF-300 f2.8 lens as part of a two camera combination, the positioning of that lens and 1DX II body made it easy to accidentally bump the lens switch from AF to man when quickly grabbing the camera.  I started putting a small ball of plumber's putty in that area before game time to prevent  accidental movement and it works very well and removes easily after the game when I am putting up the gear.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements