cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400 Telephoto Tube seems to not slide easily

ShutterSnapper
Apprentice

I have a EF 100-400mm Telephoto Lens and when sliding the lens out it seems to not go as freely as before. Is there a lubricant that is available to loosen the motion of the lens up?

Thank you for any advice!

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you tried adjusting the zoom tension ring?

shadowsports_0-1719763808505.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have the Version I or Version II model of the lens? Twist to zoom or pull to zoom?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Exactly what I was going to ask Rick.  That would seem the most likely cause.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

garymak
Enthusiast

The advice of "shadow sports" and "jrhoffman75" are on the money.

I would only add one caveat, "Oiling your lenses" = ALWAYS A BAD IDEA. If it's a version "I" (push-pull type) and there's no tension ring to try to adjust, and you feel it's either a) getting worse or b) something you can't live with or c) both, then send it to a Canon repair center, on the west coast or east coast, whichever is closest to where you live.  Ditto even if it's a version "II" and you tried loosening the tension and that doesn't work. A lens is like a watch, not a gun, and you don't just take it apart, clean and oil it and put it back together as part of "routine maintenance." I've sent cameras and lenses in over the years and they do a prompt and good job.  

Also consider calling them!  Get the technical support option and they'll be able to discuss the issue, ask further questions of you, and make some recommendations. 

If it's a version "I", there probably isn't much trade-in value, so your decision is really "pay for a repair/maintenance and keep using it" or "buy a new (or maybe used) newer lens."

Also, look into the "CPS" (Canon Professional Services) Program.  It's like $100 a year and there are various benefits including expedited repair,  reduced rates on repair, free maintenance on a couple of products a year, free shipping (back to you) and some other things.  For example, I had the same lens as you - EF 100-400mm ƒ/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - (until recently when I traded it in for the 100-500) and looking up maintenance services, it's $69, and includes: 11-Point EF Lens Maintenance Service:

• Clean External Lens Optics
  • Clean External Lens Body
  • Check Lens Attachment and Removal
  • Check Camera/Lens Communication
  • Check External Lens Barrel
  • Check Operation of Focus Ring/ Zoom Ring/ Iris Ring
  • Check Operation of Tripod Collar (if applicable)
  • Check Aperture Function
  • Perform Simple Image Test (exposure/ color balance/ resolution)
  • 10 Tighten External Screws
  • 11 Verify Firmware Version and Update if Required

which should cover your issue if it's simple, otherwise of course it'll need "repairs."   Point it, it's at least something to look into and think about... But definitely call them. ‭(800) 652-2666‬.

Good luck!

Hi Gary: One small correction, if I may.  I used to own the original version of the EF 100-400L and it does indeed have a tension ring, as per this image:

Tronhard_0-1719789846925.png
For the MkII version, from the manual (which you can download HERE )

Tronhard_0-1719790620253.png  Tronhard_1-1719790392841.pngNote: you don't rotate the black rubber ring, but the much slimmer notched metal ring above.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the confirmation.  I had the vII, so wasn't sure about vI but did say "if here wasn't a tension ring..."😉 (I had an old FD100-200 years ago which was a straight push-pull...and of course no "tension ring!" I remember the thing always sliding down and extending itself! Fond memories...)

PS: Love the Percy Harris quote (whoever he may be...)

I get your point: "If it's a version "I" (push-pull type) and there's no tension ring to try to adjust" still left the issue of whether all 100-400L's have a tension ring, so to clarify - both versions have a tension ring. 🙂   I just didn't want to confuse our poor OP any more.

Well as regards Percy Harris:  if in doubt, one can resort to AI: so, from MS Copilot:
Percy W. Harris was a photographer known for his contributions to the field of photography. He produced many helpful works to engage people with photography from at least the 1930s to the 1960s. One notable publication is The Miniature Camera Magazine, which he edited. Harris emphasized that skill in photography is acquired through practice, not just by purchasing equipment. His dedication to capturing the “magnificent moment” in wildlife photography resonates with aspiring photographers.

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements