cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens needs service after a fall

Cristina_Vizir
Apprentice
Hello Community! I'm a beginner photographer. So, this is the first time when my camera fell off from the tripod, luckily on the carpet. The camera works well, but my Canon Lens Ef 24-70 mm is kind of loose around the ring for focal length. I took some photos, and it seems to focus, but I have to support the lens with my hand. Please give me some advice where to repair it? How much it would be? Unfortunately, Canon is not Servicing anymore this kind of Lens. So, don't know where to seek for some advice and support. Please let me know if you had a similar problem 448983590_3860338197581296_6700768848635030827_n.jpg448635111_1558453641733936_7258062003318612991_n (1).jpg
Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is one of the sad stories none of us like hear, but we all know accidents happen.  🙁

Since Canon no longer services this lens, I would suggest doing a google search for Canon lens repair with your ZipCode.  You may find a local repair shop who can still service your lens.

If you strike out there, or find that the cost to repair exceeds replacement, you can look at sites like Canon Refurbished, KEH, LensRental, B&H or Adorama.  They have great used departments.  

With these suggestions, also comes some advice.  Its a good idea to use a secondary form of retention when your camera is out of its bag.  Wrist strap, aux cable to secondary retention point.  We all fumble and tripods can fail.  QR arca mount, screw type mount, whatever.  I even use a wrist strap when my camera is mounted via an arca lens plate to my tripod.  Its takes 2 sec to slip on off, but only 1 sec for your camera and lens to take a bad spill.  😉

Hope things work out.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for your reply and taking the time to do it! I will follow your advice to search something local.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Murphy's Law prevails again. Before I attach my T7 to a tripod, I wrap the strap around the tripod JIC.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Give phototronic.biz in Topeka, KS (its close to me I don't know your area) a call (785) 233-0231.

Always know used values before you even try to get service which may or may not be available. Plus at this point a replacement with new or upgrade may be reasonable. The problem is even though the lens may look OK and seem to work OK there isn't a good way to see any internal damage like misalignment, broken contacts, lose solder connections, etc., which will show up at the worse possible time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, one of the reasons Canon stops servicing a product is they do not have parts. This is a big problem for any private repair shop too. If they can not get parts they will not be able to repair it either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements