cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.4 mk11 extender

Countryside59
Contributor

I have just purchased a Canon 1.4 mk11 extender which I have attached to my 100-400 5.6 lens and 7D mk11 body. All I am able to do is set a single point focus, but when extender is removed all focusing points are again available, is this the norm for this combination? 

Would be interested to hear any views on quality etc using this extender coupled with the above.

Regards

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

Yes that's how it works. Because it's now an F 8 lens you need to use the single center AF point. Never shot my 100-400 with a TC so no idea how it does IQ or AF wise.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, the ef 100-400mm is not a good candidate for the tele extender.  It's IQ is not good enough to give up anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your info, used it overweekend and found it very slow to focus, need to set iso high, would be hopeless in low light, does not pay to cut corners,,,,,think i may invest in a Sigma 150- 600

I just bought the S version of the Sigma.  I am still evaluating but first impressions is great.  The S is very heavy so beware.  The C version may be all you need.

EB

I am considering the C lens myself, would be interested to know how you find the S version, apart its weight the reviews seem pretty good

I am still learning the Sigma S.  I took it to the Zoo yesterday to try it on some willing subjects.

I used it on my 1D Mk IV.  SS were still pretty slow.  I would have liked to been able to keep them up around 1/500 but maybe next time.  Some were as slow as 1/60.  Not the best for this type lens.  I did have my monopod but still tried hand held shots.

Its weight is going to limit how many hand held shots a person can do.  Certainly a few are possible.  I have the Tamron version and it is very hand holdable.

_52D0459.jpg

_52D0465.jpg

_52D0487.jpg

EB

Keep in mind these images have been reduced in size for the web.  Also you may want to consider the weight balance with the camera you are going to use.  This lens will be too much for a Rebel for instance.  It really needs a 1 series or a 5D Mk III with a grip.  EIther the Sigma C or Tamron would fit a smaller Canon camera better.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_52D0487.jpg

That's a great picture. It's been said that gorillas enjoy watching people as much as people enjoy watching them!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

This is a young lady.  Do you suppose she was flirting with for me? Smiley Very Happy

EB
Announcements