cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scanner not working with Mac Big Sur

stephentulk
Apprentice

Does MacOS11.6 BigSur recognize the pixma MG5420 scanner? I have loaded the Canon IJscanner3 driver but it does not appear in the applications after so I cannot open it to scan documents. Otherwise, the MG5420 printer works without needing to upload a driver.

When I search for the driver for MG5420 the page states that "there is no driver for the OS version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver". Unfortunately the scanner does not work without being able to open the application... which is nowhere to be found! The scanner does not recognize my laptop even when connected by the USB cable. 
Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A quick review of the Canon support portal for your device does not show any official driver under MAC OS 11.x.

Mojave was the last officially supported OS.  The printer is nearly 10 yrs old now.

Support | MG Series - Inkjet | PIXMA MG5420 | Canon USA

You can try VueScan for MAC, or replace the device.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A quick review of the Canon support portal for your device does not show any official driver under MAC OS 11.x.

Mojave was the last officially supported OS.  The printer is nearly 10 yrs old now.

Support | MG Series - Inkjet | PIXMA MG5420 | Canon USA

You can try VueScan for MAC, or replace the device.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stephentulk
Apprentice

thanks... VueScan is working 

Announcements