cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx860 will not print

chengr_2002
Apprentice

My Canon Pixma MX860 will not print.  It acts like it is going to or is printing by making the standard noise, but when the papers come out, there is no ink on them.  I tried reloading the drivers, which did not work.  The printer does not say the ink is out either.  I tried cleaning the print heads two times which didn't work either.  It won't even print out test sheets.  It again sounds like it is doing something, but when I look at the paper, it has nothing on it.  Please advise.

6 REPLIES 6

Tiffany

Hi Chengr_2002!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x), as well as the way you connect to your device (USB or networked via WiFi or Ethernet).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks and have a great day!

i am using osx 10.9.4 and a usb to connect to the mx 860.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi chengr_2002,

First, please make sure that the installed ink tanks are correct and full of ink.  The correct order is:

CLI-221BK
CLI-221M
CLI-221Y
PGI-220BK
CLI-221C

Next, please print the nozzle check pattern to determine whether the ink is ejecting properly from the print head. To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Make sure that the machine is turned on, then load a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder or the Cassette.

2.  Open the Paper Output Tray and then open the Output Tray Extension.

3.  Press the Paper Feed Switch to select the paper source where you have loaded paper.

4.  To print the nozzle check pattern:

4-1.  Press the Menu button.

4-2.  Select Maintenance, then press the OK button.  The Maintenance screen is displayed.

4-3.  Select Nozzle check pattern and then press the OK button.  The pattern print confirmation screen is displayed.

4-4.  Select Yes and then press the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern is printed and the pattern confirmation screens are displayed alternately.

Examine the nozzle check pattern, and perform cleaning if necessary.

Please perform the following steps to perform a Deep Cleaning:  

1.  Press the MENU button.

2.  Select Maintenance then press the OK button.

3.  Press <OK> to select Maintenance.

4.  Select Deep Cleaning and press OK.

5.  Press OK to select Yes.

The Deep cleaning will be performed.  After 2 or 3 cleanings, print another test page.

Does the test page print correctly?

If not, it is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call.  Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

MX860 Nozzle Test.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

lou1
Contributor
This works for me when printing from computer change setting from plain paper to high resolution and when copying change setting from plane to photo paper plus glossy II other settings may also work

lou1
Contributor

Try changing the default from plane paper to high resolution paper..it worked for me...good luck

Make that change  plain paper default to high resolution paper when sending from the computer and when copying change paper setting from plain to photo paper plus glossy II let me know how it turns out...

Announcements