cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i get my pixma mp 990 to print black and white? I am using macbook pro w el capitan 10.11.2

adamprat
Apprentice

the mac pro is a 2010 15 " model and I set the quality and media and greyscale printing I get the error message u 163.

stating the grey ink tank has run out and to replace the ink tank.

can't I set it up to print with ink in just the black 221 and pgbk blk 220 tanks?

1 REPLY 1

BillS
Mentor

Hi adamprat,

There is a common misconception that grayscale is the same as black and white.  Grayscale uses all the color inks to duplicate up to 256 different gray tones, while the PGI-220 PGBK Black ink is only ever black.

If you are printing images, black and white is usually a poor choice due to the severe reduction in resolution.  If you are printing documents, disabling grayscale will cause the PGBK ink to be used instead.  Once grayscale is disabled, the printer can manage the ink tanks, and the black ink does not need to be selected or isolated.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements