cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR 8520 printer and Linux

rich2506
Apprentice

Have a TR8520 printer and a computer OS of the latest Ubuntu Linux. Had  been using the printer with Windows wirelss driver, but I only use the printer every now and then, so it simply stopped working after awhile (no error message, the compute went through its routine and announed I had successfully prited a page while nothing actually printed). So I hoked up my Linux computer to the printer with a wire and downloaded cnijfilter2-source-5.50-1.tar.gz, but then get an error message when I try to install it! TAR.GZ files are what my computer usually uses. Is there any way to get an update to that file?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Telling us you get an error messgae witout providing the actual error doesn't give us much to go on.

Downloads for the TS8520 (including linux) are here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/tr-s...

It looks like Canon has tested the driver you tried above with Ubuntu 17.04.  Current version is 20.4 LTS  Other packages may or may not work.  Not sure if the file you have or downloaded is corrupt or if there is another problem, but re-downloading a fresh copy of the file is a good place to start.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hmm. Yeah. Got same error. The idea that it may work for an older version of Linux makes more sense than the idea that it never worked at all.

Would love to provide more details as to error messages, but the program for the printer doesn't provide anything.

Announcements