cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner does not connect as TWAIN device

canoetraveler
Apprentice

Hello,
I'm setting up a new TS8320 multifunction product. The connection is through wifi. The printer appears to work fine; and I can scan images using the Canon IJ Scan Utility. But this program is clunky. I want to use my photo editing program to scan images. (Like I did with my MG6620 printer/scanner.) However, both Painshop Pro and Irfanview programs fail to connect to the TS8320 scanner. They both give identical error messages. 

When selecting a TWAIN device, the only device listed is "WCD601 Scanner." This is incorrect: The Windows Device Manager program lists the scanner under Imaging devices as TS8300 series _B9DA35000000.  When this TWAIN device is selected and a scan is attempted by the photo editor program, an error message appears: "There appears to be no camera, scanner, or other WIA device present." The behavior is identical for both editor programs.

To set up the printer I downloaded and ran win-ts8300-1_0-n_mcd.exe.
When the scanner failed to operate I downloaded and ran md__-win-ts8300-1_01-ea34_2.exe.
I have rebooted the Windows PC and cycled the power on the printer. No change in behavior 

Looking for solutions.

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi canoetraveler,

Based on the error message that you are experiencing, it would appear that the software you are attempting to scan with are looking for the WIA driver, not the TWAIN driver.  Is there an "Import from TWAIN" or something like that in the software you are using?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick,

Thank you for the reply. Neither program finds the TS8320. Again, it shows up in Windows Device Manager, but not in the Windows API that both programs are using to select a TWAIN device. (Neither program says anything about WIA scanners.) 

Searching for this problem on the web, I see that some have resolved the problem by adding the appropriate directory to the path system variable. digging a little deeper, I see that the scanner listed by my photo edit programs is in C:\Windows\twain_64\PenPower\WCD601 Scanner. (This device is a business card scanner.) However, the drivers for the TS8320 are not in the 64-bit directory, only in the 32-bit directory C:\Windows\twain_32\SG20\TS8300 series. So that seems to be the problem.

Is a 64-bit version of the Canon scanner drivers available?  

Hi canoetraveler.

In your original message, you state that you are getting the message:

"There appears to be no camera, scanner, or other WIA device present."

That would tell me that the program that you are using is looking for a WIA device.

As you are able to scan with the IJ Scan Utility, we know that the TWAIN driver is installed and working correctly.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick,

As I explained earlier, The IJ Scanner Utility works. But this is combersom. I want to scan directly from my photo editing software like I could with the previous Canon printer/scanner. Repeating, it appears that the Canon install program has only installed 32-bit drivers. The photo editing program is 64-bit. Please point me to 64-bit drivers for the TS8320 multifuntion product.

Announcements