cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX922 printing blank pages

bocaboy
Contributor

My Pixma MX922 has suddenly started printing nothing but blank pages. It doesn't matter whether I try and print on letter or photo paper. I've done a dozen deep cleanings to no avail. I went on YouTube to learn how to remove and clean the print head. Still no difference.

This printer is only 2½ years old. I'm astounded that it has stopped working, especially since I thought Canon was a premium brand. I've Googled the problem and I'm really surprised how wide spread it is. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has ever solved the problem, or whether this is another $85 down the toilet.

I've talked to Tech Support and they suggested a new print head. As I said, I removed and cleaned the print head and still got nothing but blank pages. I don't want to throw good money after bad, especially since I've yet to read of one user who replaced the print head and fixed the problem.

So, the question is open to this fine forum: has anyone actually fixed the problem of a Pixma MX922 printing blank pages? If you'd be kind enough to share the solution, I'd sure appreciate it, as I'm sure many others would as well.

Thanks to all!

63 REPLIES 63

LIFE SAVER!

thanks for posting this.  Will keep as reference. 

for me, a "power cycle" worked, but as this printer ages (have had it for maybe 3-4 years, very low use at home) but this year it's just one thing after another, so I'm almost sure at some point a cleaning like the one on the video you linked will be necessary. 

BTW, this is for a MG6620 model. 

@chemengineer wrote:

Hello,

After 2 years of this problem, I found this forum, and I fixed the m*fo with a blend of your responses.

First I tried the 14 steps that @PDIT recommended...

The first nozzle check pattern printed faint grey squares which was obviously not right. When prompted "Which is closer for printed color patterns?", I selected "Also B", which prompted me from the printer, "Nozzle clogged, do you want to start cleaning?", so I said yes. The second nozzle check pattern came out a little more detailed, but still wrong. I cleaned once again. The third nozzle check pattern came out blank...

Then I watched the following youtube video "How to remove printhead Canon MX922, MX925 Printers" by 303 Eelctronics. (sorry coudn't attach the link)

So, I removed the ink cartridges, took out the print head and noticed that it was just as dirty as the guy's in the video, so I did what he was doing and cleaned the back with a lint-free wash rag, and a few Q-tips (note: don't touch the print pads or they will be damaged).

Then I re-inserted the print head, and cartridges (which are knock-off cartiridges I've been using for years), and printed the nozzle check pattern one more time... and BAM! It came out perfectly... I was like there is no way... 

I then tried printing a personal document and it came out perfectly.

Just needs a little cleaning and hard reset I guess? Good Luck!

The nozzle test page should look like this:

Canon MX922 Nozzle Test Page (Resized).png

cooperic
Apprentice

I just had same problem with my MX922 which has been a true workhorse for years - but recently started acting odd.

I did the whole "reseating the print head" exercise and it made a difference for a day or so. But I seeing same blank page problem described here.

Even stranger, I am seeing cases where parts of one or two pages are blank when I print out a 10-20 page document.

Has anyone tried replacing the print head? (I realize that that could cost half as much as a new printer ... just curious.)

Thanks!

rbgreen
Apprentice

I'll tell ya what works for me with printing head issues. I've tried several cleaners and youtube methods. The only thing that really worked was to get the tubing that fits your printer from a cleaning kit. Take out the printhead and place it on a folded paper towel so you don't get ink everywhere. Then take the tubing and place it over the grey nub. Make as tight a seal as possible and then blow forcefully from the other end for several seconds. Try not to do a wet blow. Do that for each nub. Ink will come out and hopefully unclog the printhead.

robinvt
Apprentice

Why doesn't Canon reply to the community to fix this problem.  You think they would want to help.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements