cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MP495 offline problem with Mac 10.11

wheelmom
Apprentice

I know this an old printer, but it still works for my husband's old mac and it used to work well with my sort of old macbook.  Scanning by wifi is no problem, but wifi printing has been spotty until lately it has stopped.  The message is that it is not connected properly.  I tried all sorts of things -- checking settings, turning the printer off for 15 minutes (which worked in the past), turning the router off and on, and searched online for help.  Then I went to the canon website and downloaded the most recent drivers for my OS10.11, deleted the older printer (in preferences), and went through setting up the printer again.  It didn't show up in the searching step, so I connected my macbook to the printer by usb cable and configured it that way.  (And the network configuration page printout has all the right stuff.)  But when attempting to print by wifi, the message now says the printer is offline.  But, it will scan by wifi!!   Can anyone help me?  (Canon does not actively support this printer any more.)

1 REPLY 1

wheelmom
Apprentice

I FIXED IT!

I finally found in System Preferences an option for Firewall to allow printer access.  I didn't know it was blocked.  
And, I learned one more thing:  the configuring done with the usb cord doesn't work for wifi.  

After selecting the firewall option,  the IJ Network Tool configured the printer again.  It was necessary to go to Sys. Pref>Printer to add this newest configuration, as the one before with the usb cord was still marked as 'offline'.

(Back when phone support was still available for this model, I talked to a couple 'reps' who told me to configure with the usb cable if I was having trouble connecting.)

This printer is so old, I don't know if all this will help anyone, but here it is.

Announcements