cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5721 - Scanned Documents Font Size

Jerry3
Contributor

I use Windows 10 and printer Pixma MG5721.

When scanning a newspaper column using U Scan Utility, two scanning options called Document PDF and ScanGear appear.  When scanning using Document, the scanned font size is larger than when using ScanGear. 

I also note when using other scan options, the font sizes on those options are also larger than ScanGear.

Is this normal?  If so, do you know why?

Thanks,

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Michael –

Thanks for your return.  My problem is not viewing the document on my computer.  I know I can magnify it for viewing.  What I was checking on was if I could “print out” the document in a larger font.

Anyway, I contacted Canon on two occasions and this was their response.

1. First Contact –

You cannot enlarge the font size for a printed scanned document.  I was told to put my document on the scanner and by going through some steps, enlarge the document.  Then, take that enlarged document and rescan it.

2. Second Contact –

The Canon rep said that ScanGear was an older, more basic scan software.  The other scan options such as Document was a newer software that had been added later and had different settings. 

I understand your answer of PDF and JPEG. However, I need to restate again, that the larger font size appeared in all other scan options that are not PDF such as Auto and Custom.  However, I can see your response could probably apply to the other scan options, as well.

Jerry

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Jerry3,

This sounds like a scaling issue to me.  Please verify you are not using settings that might enlarge the image or text.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick –

I checked my Settings and don’t see an option that relates to font or image size.  Also, on the Settings page I did click on the Default tab and nothing changed.

I think what I am seeing is “built in” for scanning.  I can work around this, but was curious as to why.

Thanks for the return.

Jerry

11/4/19

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

When the Document option is used, the image is saved to PDF format.  When Scangear is used, the image is most likely being saved as a JPEG image.  Your photo viewing software is most likely scaling the image down to fit in the window that you are viewing it in.  You can try using the zoom feature in your image viewing software if you need to see parts of the scan clearly. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Michael –

Thanks for your return.  My problem is not viewing the document on my computer.  I know I can magnify it for viewing.  What I was checking on was if I could “print out” the document in a larger font.

Anyway, I contacted Canon on two occasions and this was their response.

1. First Contact –

You cannot enlarge the font size for a printed scanned document.  I was told to put my document on the scanner and by going through some steps, enlarge the document.  Then, take that enlarged document and rescan it.

2. Second Contact –

The Canon rep said that ScanGear was an older, more basic scan software.  The other scan options such as Document was a newer software that had been added later and had different settings. 

I understand your answer of PDF and JPEG. However, I need to restate again, that the larger font size appeared in all other scan options that are not PDF such as Auto and Custom.  However, I can see your response could probably apply to the other scan options, as well.

Jerry

Announcements