cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 wireless scanning

morrisjc33
Apprentice

I have an MG5420 installed on a Windows 8.1 WLAN.  Printing is fine, but scanning will not work at all.  The Scan Utility keeps saying the scanner driver needs to be reinstalled.  I've done this countless times, but still the Scan Utility will not work.  Does this printer need to be connected via USB to scan?  Wireless signal strength is 100% since the printer is right by my router.  Drivers are all the latest available from the website.

10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, morrisjc33!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

Thanks and have a great day!

I thought I did specify the operating system in my OP, but it is Windows 8.1 (Pro 64-bit).  Router is a Netgear WGR614 v9 with the latest router firmware installed.  PC has 8GB ram, 1TB HD.

Hello.

Please try the following to see if we can resolve your issue:

1.  On your keyboard, press the 'Windows' key.  This is usually on the lower left corner.

2.  Begin typing Canon IJ Network.

3.  Go to Canon IJ Network Scan Utility.

4.  Open the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility.

Once this has been done, a small scanner icon should appear near your clock on the bottom corner of the screen.

Next, follow these steps:

1.  Open the Canon IJ Scan Utility on your Desktop or the Canon Utilities listing of the Start Menu.

2.  Click Settings.

3.  Click the General Settings tab on the left.  The icon resembles tools.

4.  In the Product dropdown menu, select the Network version of the printer.

5.  Click OK.

Once this has been done, try scanning from the IJ Scan Utility to test the connection.

If these troubleshooting steps do not work, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello.  

I, too, have this issue, but it seems the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility is not on my computer.  We recently had to get a new hard drive - where can i get the Scan Utility so I can try to progress further?

Oh, I am also running Windows 8.1 Pro and have a Verizon issued ActionTec router.

Thanks!

Hi takomavolpe,

Uninstalling and reinstalling the PIXMA MG5420 should resolve this issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Put the PIXMA MG5420's CDROM in the CDROM drive. If the welcome screen appears, exit it.

2. Place the cursor in the upper right hand corner of your screen to display the Charms Menu.

3. Click on Search.

4. Type RUN.

5. In the Search Results, click APPS and then click RUN in the results to the left.

6. Click Browse. In the Browse window, click on "Computer".

7. Double click the CANON_IJ CDROM.

8. Double click the folder named WIN.

9. Double click the folder named Driver.

10. Double click the folder named DrvSetup.

11. Double click the file named DelDrv.  If you are using the 64 bit version of Windows 8, please double click DelDrv64.

12. In the Run box click OK.

13. Place the cursor in the upper right hand corner of your screen to display the Charms Menu.

14. Click on Search.

15. Type RUN.

16. In the Search Results, click APPS and then click RUN in the results to the left.

17. Click Browse. In the Browse window, click on "Computer".

18. Double click the CANON_IJ CDROM.

19. Double click the folder named WIN.

20. Double click the folder named Driver.

21. Double click the folder named LAN.

22. Double click the file named CNMNPU. In the Run box click OK. Follow the on-screen prompts.

Once the printer has been uninstalled, restart the computer.

To install the PIXMA MG5420 for use over your network wirelessly, please follow these steps:

1. Visit Canon's website at: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2. Type PIXMA MG5420 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3. On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4. Under Recommended Downloads, please click on the MG5400 series Mini Master Setup.

5. If you agree, please select the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to

continue with the download".

6. Click the Download box.

7. A File Download box should appear at the bottom of the screen.

8. Click Save.

9. Once the download is complete, open your Downloads folder.

10. Double click [mast-win-mg5400-1_0-ucd.exe] to begin installation of the drivers.

Follow the prompts and installation will complete.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ONJ
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro and I am unable to  scan documents onto my desktop.

My computer will copy the image from my wireless cannon printer/scanner, but I am unable to save the image to my desktop.

Can someone guide me?

Thanks

Hi, ONJ!

To ensure the most accurate information is provided, we will need to know the version of Mac in use (ex. 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, etc). You can find this out by clicking the Apple sign in the top-left corner and choosing 'About this Mac.'

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Are you using the IJ Scan Utility or Image Capture to scan?

ronmitchell
Apprentice

Same problem on Mac. Have had only problems with the wireless Canon printer. Guess I need to go buy a cable to scan a document. Third (and last) Canon printer I will buy. It shouldn't be this hard to scan a document, really?

When a consumer gets frustrated enough using your product to register and post a comment or ask have to ask for help, you really need to investigate the quality of your offering.

Announcements