cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma 2520. 22 flashes. Error 5011. Print head moves left, makes grinding noise. Won't move right

Michael_Gee
Apprentice

Hey all,

We picked up this printer back in Oct 2017 for the scanner feature. Of course, because "reasons", I also had to get printer cartridges even just when using the scanner. Man Frustrated The unit is turned off until I need to use it and I've only used the scanner once or twice and never used the printer so the print heads are pristine. This morning I go to turn it on and I get the error listed in the title, which is pretty much the generic, "Something went wrong". When I turn it on, the head appears to try to configure itself but I hear what sounds like a bit of grinding. If I gently move the head to the center and turn it on, the head moves left and then makes that grinding sound. There is tention on the rubber tract that manipulates the print head.
The "power off/unplug for n minutes/plug back in/turn on" solution Canon gives does nothing, as expected. Since this thing has pretty much sat idle for all these years, the failure isn't due to use, that's for sure. The manual gives no solution to this particular issue and neither does the Internet. Of course, it's past its year warranty and so Canon support won't have anything to do with me (feel the love and support Man Sad) so this is my last option to get some assistance with this.

Has anyone had this issue and figured out a solution?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Gee
Apprentice

Just an update. I noticed if I open the door to where the print heads are, slide the print heads over to the right, and leave the door open, the heads won't move to the left when powered on BUT the general error message is the same. So, either the general error message isn't caused by the printer heads OR the general error message is used for the door being open as well as whatever is causing the original error.

Hi, Michael_Gee!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you for this. This, actually, gives me a better understanding of what the particualar component is causing the issue. In this case, it's saying the scanner is the issue. When powered on, the snanner head does move so it's not clear why it's the cause. It's unfortunate that this one component also makes the printer unusable.

Announcements