cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pigment Inks in my PIXMA G6020

gdpasteur
Apprentice

Hello forum, I have a Pixma G6020 Megatank. I recently learned the difference between pigment and dye inks because the photos that my G6020 prints (on Canon Pro Lustre paper) fade within two months in an office environment... and I mean really fade. I could not figure it out and then I realized while my black ink is pigment, the colors are all dye. 

My question, my printer is already printing pigment ink for black, would it hurt it if I started printing pigment ink for the colors as well?

If not, then where can I find some pigment colors that I can use in this megatank? 

Thank you for any help!!

6 REPLIES 6

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gdpasteur,

Pigment inks are not available for use with the PIXMA G6020.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Ok, but it is already printing black pigment, can I use color pigment ink from another manufacturer without damaging the print heads?

Did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problem with my Pixma G5020. I was horrified to find that my prints faded within just a few hours when exposed to sunlight. Not sure what to do now!

Never found a solution. I even sprayed my photos with UV protectant spray and they still faded in a few weeks 😞

Thank you for your reply! Preliminary experiments indicate that the paper may play a role in this. I have Red River 47 lb. Premium Matte paper and 60lb. River Linen. I covered half the print on each one and left the other half uncovered (different prints- just what I had available).  The print on River Linen did not fade after 8 hours in full sun, while there was visible fading on the Premium Matte paper. I’ll be running a more controlled test next week using the same print image on more paper samples. I’ll keep you posted!

I tested different papers by printing blocks of black, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red on each: Red River 60lb. River Linen, RR 47lb. Premium Matte,  RR 60lb. Polar Matte, and Canon Matte Photo Paper. I then covered half of the image and exposed to direct sunlight for 3 hours. Results: (Best) RR Linen = RR Premium Matte > RR Polar Matte = Canon Photo paper. There was very little difference between the paper types that are separated by the = sign. If I had left them out longer I might have seen a difference. Among the colors tested, purple was worst (most faded) , followed by blue, orange, red, black, green and yellow (least faded). I was surprised that the black faded, since I believe it’s a pigment dye. 

Announcements