cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA iP8720 won't print black... sometimes?

xhayjay
Apprentice

I've had my Pixma 8720 for about 2 years and consistently have an issue where, on certain files, at certain sizes, it will refuse to print black ink. Specifically its images on 13x19 paper that seem to have the issue. I can do a test print of the same file at a smaller size and it'll print black, and print other files with black that are smaller. I've repeated this many times, so I know it's something about the printer, not the cartridges, nozzles or printer head. I've tried:
- Nozzle cleanings
- Replaced ink cartridges
- Copied the file, saved it as a different format
- Pulled the printer head out to check for clogs
- Changed the print dialogue settings (nearly everything)
- Took the contents of the file and put it into an entirely new document
- Tried off-brand cartridges
- Restart the printer
- Restart my computer (obviously, its been happening for years)
- Check the USB connection

It will often print the file correctly the first time, then never again. After that first good print, I'll get lines of black, then just none from then on. This is very frustrating as I can't afford to keep wasting this expensive photo paper, as test prints on other sizes don't mean anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

1 REPLY 1

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Based on the cleanings and steps you have taken and the issue remains, the printer would need to be replaced. 

Since  the printer is out of warranty, you would qualify for the Canon Upgrade program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements