I emailed Canon support, and got this reply:
Good morning and thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand your PIXMA MX892 is having an issue powering on. I will be more than happy to help.
I have listed a few steps and check points below we can try to resolve this issue. Please complete the following steps:
1. Make sure the power cord is securely seated in the printer and the wall outlet.
2. If you have the printer connected in a surge protector, try connecting the power cord straight to a wall jack.
3. Try to disconnect all connections from the printer for five to ten minutes. Right after all connections are disconnected, press the power button five times to release any electrical charge the printer may be holding. After five to ten minutes, reconnect the printer to power, and attempt to power the printer on once more.
4. Try to connect the printer to a different well known working power outlet.
5. Try a spare power cord, perhaps from a different device in your home with the same kind of power cord.
If the issue persists after these troubleshooting steps, the unit is exhibiting symptoms that will require service. Repair service is no longer available for this product. However, in appreciation of your continued loyalty, we understand your need for a working printer, and would like to offer you our Canon Loyalty Program.
Canon's Loyalty Program is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.
I was told by tech support that I was eligible for the Customer Loyalty Program. I called, and was told it's a 10% discount and free shipping. For a new MX922, that would come to $161.99 with no shipping. Well, the MX922 is available at Amazon for $99 with no shipping, or I can go pick one up at Staples for $99. Or Newegg has it for $129.
So before you buy from the Customer Loyalty Program, shop around.
My Pixma MX892 was purchased 2 years ago and has been functioning well until yesterday...the screen displayed a B200 error code. I unplugged unit and waited 10 minutes then plugged back in and the same error code appeared. Tried unsuccessfully two more times then called tech support. I was told this code means the machine needs to be taken to a device center and it will probably be cheaper to purchase a new unit. I decided to explore online for people having similar issues and did I ever!!!!! We. Are very careful with our electronics and this is the first...no more Canon products in this household and I will be spreading the information!