cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G2415 Question about Canon ink

kiki443
Apprentice

Hello

I couldn't find a definitive answer elsewhere, and I would like to know if GI 490 black ink is pigment or dye based, I think the colors are dye, but I am not sure about black one.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like Canon OEM ink is pigment.

Screenshot 2022-10-09 075639.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like Canon OEM ink is pigment.

Screenshot 2022-10-09 075639.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

kiki443
Apprentice

Ok, thank you.

I have a Pixma G2415 printer that uses GI490 ink, had it for two years actually, and I still have like 80 % of the original ink remaining (very efficient printer), but I was thinking about getting G7050 with ADF and wired network capability, or even Maxify GX 7040 (as it's twice as fast and has a duplex ADF for copying/scaning both sides simultaneously., but considering how often I use the printer (only 20 % of a bottle for 2 yrs.), bassically my printing needs are like 5-10 pages/month, and that usually is all at once, and then the printer just sits there doing nothing. despite this, I never had any issues with black, as in terms of dried up ink or clogs or anything, and yet I am being advised not to buy Maxify as my printing frequency will ruin it's printhead, pigment ink apperentlly clogs easier than dye ink. so if I am not printing like 10-15 pages daily the printhead will clog up requiering it to be replaced, as it's also harder to disolve pigment based ink than it is dye based ink.)

Now should I be voried about pigment ink cloging up my printhead, as maxify uses exlusivlly pigment inks?

@kiki443 wrote:

Ok, thank you.

I have a Pixma G2415 printer that uses GI490 ink, had it for two years actually, and I still have like 80 % of the original ink remaining (very efficient printer), but I was thinking about getting G7050 with ADF and wired network capability, or even Maxify GX 7040 (as it's twice as fast and has a duplex ADF for copying/scaning both sides simultaneously., but considering how often I use the printer (only 20 % of a bottle for 2 yrs.), bassically my printing needs are like 5-10 pages/month, and that usually is all at once, and then the printer just sits there doing nothing. despite this, I never had any issues with black, as in terms of dried up ink or clogs or anything, and yet I am being advised not to buy Maxify as my printing frequency will ruin it's printhead, pigment ink apperentlly clogs easier than dye ink. so if I am not printing like 10-15 pages daily the printhead will clog up requiering it to be replaced, as it's also harder to disolve pigment based ink than it is dye based ink.)

Now should I be voried about pigment ink cloging up my printhead, as maxify uses exlusivlly pigment inks?

Hard to answer definitively. Pigment inks are more prone to clogging. Some printers will execute cleaning cycles automatically to minimize the potential. You might want to call Canon and talk to the printer sales team to discuss 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements